At my wits end!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I'm really struggling right now.

I just need somebody to talk to as there's only so much my poor wife can take.

For the last year or so, I've been having really unpleasant gastrointestinal problems. It's gotten much worse since June though.

I've been having rectal bleeding when I go to the toilet, not in my poo but when I wiped and in the bowl, severe abdominal and lower back pain, constipation, a pressure in my bottom, feeling like I have wind all the time, a feeling like I need the toilet a lot but unable to do much when I do go.

I'm not eating much right now as I feel like food goes straight through me and I just get the feeling like I need the toilet all over again.

So I went to the doctor in July. Had a FIT test, that was negative. Waited a few months, symptoms didn't subside so I went again and was sent for blood tests. Everything in my blood was fine.

Had another FIT test, positive this time. I was sent for a colonoscopy on the 2WW but only a 4mm sessile polyp in my rectum was found. It was sent to pathology with no sign of dysplasia.

This was last month. Went to the doctors again as I was still bleeding when I wiped and was diagnosed with an anal fissure.

Since then I'm still having abdominal and back pain and toilet troubles.

Went to doctor for a 4th time on the 21st of this month and she said it sounds like IBS.

The gastrointestinal problems are constant and it's just not consistent with what I know of IBS. This seems different and is destroying any joy I have in my life.

I'm so terrified that the colonoscopy has missed something and I have bowel cancer.

Not only am I scared of that, I'm scared that it's metastasised as I've been having really achy feelings in both of my legs for months now so I'm terrified it's metastasised to my bones and it's too late for me.

I now feel like I'm on my own as I only went to the doctor on the 21st so they probably won't see me again.

I haven't been able to enjoy Christmas at all and I'm at the stage where I don't know what to do.

Thank you for reading.

Hope you've all had a good Christmas!

Take care

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Bloating and trapped wind can give you back ache, especially if its constant. Try taking a peppermint oil capsule after eating. If you are ingesting a lot of air with your food it will hopefully make you burp rather than it going all the way though the gut. try to slow down your eating, and chew more.

Have a look at your diet.Do you consume regular amounts of alcohol or carbonated drinks? try to take them out of your diet. Also look at the foods you are eating. Do you eat a lot of beans, broccoli, wheat, onions, garlic, dairy products? try to go a week without any of these foods and then if your symptoms ease try re introducing foods one at a time, one a week. Try to keep all your foods low in fat and try not to consume things like take aways and pre- prepared supermarket meals.

You could try also taking a probiotic once per day. They are easily obtained in health food shops.

You seem to have had most of the preliminary tests which have been clear so try not to focus on something terrible. Try to concentrate on finding the cause of your problems which is probably a type of food. Try googling Fodmap. That may help you find the cause of your discomfort.

Bleeding on the paper is often an anal fissure or haemorrhoids/piles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.