At my wits end after taking gabapentin

Posted , 11 users are following.

I took gabapentin for one week only, having had severe burning pain in my leg, I had to come off abruptly due to a allergic rash, in total I took only 1500 mg. i am now five days in with the most horrible withdrawal side effects, so dizzy that I can hardly stand, sickness, palpatations dry mouth nervousness, not being able to function at all. I am at my wits end, despairing and wondering how long this will last!

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sandra. I was prescribed Gabapentin about 6 months ago for back pain. I'd already tried Amitriptyline, which caused me nose bleeds.

These didn't do much to help the pain, but my doc just said to increase the dose, from 3 a day, to 6, then 8. Now I have found these are causing me nose bleeds, so I dropped back down and have now stopped altogether. I am going to see a different doc in a couple of weeks. I just need a good painkiller for cronic back pain.

I hate taking tablets simply because of the awful side effects, but sometimes we have to take them.

I hope you feel better soon.

Jo x

• Posted

Hello Jo, althought you still have your back pain, I feel that you have been very fortunate in getting off the gabapentine, it would seem, although you haven't said, without too much difficulty. This is my sixth day with the worst feeling and sickness, that I have ever experienced, I can hardly get out of bed, all because I took this awful drug for one week only, even at such a low dose x
    • Posted

Until reading this Sandra, I had no idea coming off Gabapentin could be so nasty. I'm glad I've read all of this and if I do feel any symptons, I'll know what to do. I really think doctors who prescribe this drug should make you far more aware of the side affects and about coming off them. I mean we all read the leaflet and the side affects, but if we read the awful affects side tabs can have, we'd never take anything.

For people who rely on tabs for whatever reason, it becomes quite scary.

Best of luck.

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Sandra. I am glad you got the Valium to help. Just be careful of taking too much of it. It can cause depression in large doses and the need for way too much sleep. Try walking, swimming, yoga or riding a bike too if you can. That seems to help clear anything from your system as well as plenty of water or even electrolyte drinks. It also produces endorphines which makes your mood feel so much better. I'm glad I could help. As far as Amitryptaline, it made me sick. The doctors are so ready to hand out all of these pills that have severe psychological and physical compilications without hesitation and they don't know the consequences they will have on us. One doctor even metioned in his report that "ironically the patient is allergic to gabapentin" when I was trying to get my surgery. I went to another surgeon and got a Transfuraminal ESI and now I am able to exercise 2 months later. I wish you the bestsmile And don't forget that the doctors get kickbacks from Big Pharma for handing out these medications. In most commercials I see the consequences of taking the drugs might actually outweigh the benefits in most cases. I find the older drugs like diazepam, trazadone for sleep, and depakote for mood swings work the best. I have not had any problems with Lyrica yet either. Good luck to everybody on here! 
  • Posted

Sandra I know how you feel. I went through the withdrawal, and yes the Dr's say there is no withdrawal. I was really ill, but good news I got through it. It will take time, but you will come out of it. Just do what you can to get through the day, eat little and often if  it affecting your  appetite . Try not to take any other medication to try to combat the feelings. Not unless you have other medical conditions then obviously take that medication. I am not medically trained, this is just my opinion. Be kind to yourself, others have no idea how you feel within, but you will be ok.
    • Posted

Thank you for letting me know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, It doesn't feel like it, as I am into day nine with no let up, still feeling dizzy sick, headache and a knot in my stomach that feels like the size of a football, and struggling to eat anything. My doctor informed me yesterday that it was unlikely to be the medication, as he prescribes it about four times a week! I hope that none of those poor souls don't experience the hell that you, myself and seemingly plenty of others have been through. You can't explain to anyone what it's like, they say it's worse that coming off of heroin, I believe it! Thanks for taking the time to tell me about, what must have been your own personal hell x
    • Posted

Hi Sandra. Having come of Gabapentin last week, I thought I was okay, but the last 3 days I've been feeling really sick, mostly in the mornings.

I'm just going to work through it as best I can.

I'm seeing doc to discuss other pain relief for my cronic back pain. I seem to be going around in circles with different tabs.

Jo x

• Posted

Hello Jo, you are doing well if that's the only side effect that you have, and that you are going to try and work through the sickness!, I'm completely shattered with mine, and can just about get out of bed x
    • Posted

I started feeling a little better last night, but today I am feeling just as bad again with the headache pounding away and feeling sick. Am beginning to feel that this is not going to go away, feeling spaced out. How long were you suffering your withdrawal, and did you suffer with headache?  x
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm am now free of gabapentin and suffering I've been reading all your posts and I'm day 3 in my doc gave me seetraline an anti depressant but I have only been this way I think because of gabapentin how long did it take for you to feel normal.I was on 2 1800 mg a day and dropped 300 mg a day got told this by a doc but maybe he should of tapered me off more slowly or should I just try and live with it till it passes.
  • Posted

I was prescribed a different med when I wanted to get off Gabapentin. Dr didn't advise me that getting off G cold turkey was not adviable! Went through Hell!  Spent a week in bed, lost 7 lbs. and was very ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.