At my wits' end - eyes severely dry, even worse in social situations!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, I'm 31 years old and have had rosacea since I was in my mid-twenties. I also have blepharitis/ocular rosacea. I currently clean my eyelids twice a day using blephasol lotion and a cotton pad, and usually do a warm compress/massage before I clean them at night. I have been on doxycycline on and off but I'm not sure it made a lot of difference. It seems that my eyes get more veins in them and get more swollen by the week, what am I doing wrong? My eyes are extremely dry and nearly every drop that I've tried (yes, preservative free) irritates them, so I've literally had to give up my hobby of video gaming and can only look at TV/anything with a screen for a few minutes at a time. Recently driving has also become a problem. I have depression/anxiety issues and my eye problems are so extreme I'm virtually house bound (I'm unemployed). Recently I've noticed that my eyes become much drier in any kind of social situation (even if a friend visits my eyes start to get sore and dry/swollen/red a few minutes after their arrival. Does anyone else experience this and is there anything I can do about it? I feel I'm just destined to be a loner because these eye issues have taken over my life. (I honestly blame roaccutane for both my rosacea and dry eyes/blepharitis, I took it way back when I was 17 for acne). Can I be helped or am I screwed? Eye doctors have failed to help me - one recommend i clean my lids with a mixture of original source shower gel (mint and tea tree oil) and water but it just made my eyes more irritated and caused more veins in my eyes. On the verge of giving up here!

Mark

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Regarding heated eye masks: note what they are filled with as if one makes your eyes worse you may need to try another with a different filling. I use one with grape seed filling. There are also masks with flax seed or wheat. 

At the moment I am looking for a tiny microwave that I can take travelling with me. So far without luck. I've seen the Iwave cube as a photo on line but can't find a supplier...any ideas folks? Pamela

• Posted

i sent you my email address but tha message is being moderated so you might not get it.   How will you message me the link please?
    • Posted

Is their a little grey envelope under my name?  click on that, then you can send me a private message.

That is how I have messaged you.  Look at the top of this page & you will see your name & your discussions etc & a link saying 'messages'  if you click on that messages link, you should find one from me!

Alternatively, try clicking on the envelope under my picture

• Posted

Hi Mrsmop, I've received your message and already ordered the eye bags. Have you used them? I'd been thinking of trying the hand warmers and the eyebags advertised in the link work on a similar principle. Fingers crossed. If I get on with them then that's another point scored against Bleph! Hurray, lol. Thank you very much. There you go Mark, this forum is ever helpful. 

Ill ll let you know how I get on. I've got an overnight stay in an hotel shortly. I'll take flannels plus a Gel eyebag that I heat up in a thermos cup in boiling water with a lid firmly on just in case I need them. Hoping these eyebags are the answer for me as the aforementioned aren't all that satisfactory and it takes a week or so after I get home and back to my microwave he bag, for my eyes to recover. Here's hoping...bye for now x

• Posted

Hi Mrs Mop, the self heating eyebags were very disappointing so felt I'd wasted my money. Nevermind. I'm getting on well with my usual gel eyebag and thermistor cup...on holiday at the moment. It works well as long as I can use my travel kettle. Best wishes Pamela

• Posted

Hi Pamela, I'm sorry to hear the self heating eyebags were so disappointing but glad that you are coping with your usual regime.

Hope you're having a great holiday.

• Posted

I had a great holiday and my eyes were fine. Heat treatment worked the best ever. It's a bit of a palaver but worth it. I use a heated gel mask in its frayed holder topped by one of those disposable heat masks which I was so disappointed with...topped again with an old grape seed mask and the heat held in very well. I had minor issues with light sensitivity but am getting to grips with that nicely too.

• Posted

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time.  I use Refresh Celluvisc which is a gel and is preservative free at times, but most often I use Refresh Plus drops which are also preservative free.  I use the water/baby shampoo mixture 5:1 ratio with about 3 drops of tea tree oil in it.  I clean my eyelids twice a day with this using a clean Q-tip for each eye.  A heated rice bag helps soothe and calm down my eyes so I use that twice a day.  Watching TV isi a challenge so I wear sunglasses and turn a couple of lights low which helps with the glare.  Doxycline did not help me at all.  I also put a thin layer of Muro 128 ointment on my eyelashes right before going to sleep.  I also find that social situationsn can make the problem worse.

Best of luck to you! 

• Posted

Ditto on the sunglass thing. If i need them in the house,I use them. Xx
  • Posted

HI Mark,  So sorry to hear of your long journey.  Mine has only been 4 months. I've been using the baby shampoo, tea tree and coconut oil and didn't appear to be working for me, although early days.  However, I had also read about Manuka honey and then I read about SAFFRON THREADS (red) somewhere on a blog thread and they recommended a tsp manuka honey as well.  

After 2 days of Saffron threads I have seen a vast mprovement!

So in the morning I have cereal with 1 tbl flaxsee oil powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp Manuka honey and 6 Saffron Threads.  I am still using baby shampoo to clean my eyes in the morning and evening. Also taking Omega 3 tablets.  The flaxseed oil and Omega 3 I believe does help but takes time.  

The Saffron threads are expensive but the other person recommended only 6 (they are very tiny) and so it doesn't work out that expensive. So far I'm not clear but greatly improved and this is my 4th day on it!

I'll keep you informed of my progress.  

Don't give up! I do believe for each of us we'll find something that works.   

• Posted

Are your eyes really sensitive to light?  I have been dealing with this for 4 months also.  I use the baby shampoo with tea tree oil in it twice a day, put Muro128 or Refresh PM on my eyelashes at night so my eyes don't dry out.  It seems like my eyes are not as sensitive to light as I'm not wearing sunglasses inside the house very much now but it's still a problem.  Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, My eyes have been light sensitive for many years and always needs sunglasses outdoors.  I wouldn't say that's my biggest problem now. The tearing and filming up in my eyes and the burning is what has been terrible for me.  Also I found that I felt exhausted all the time. I use Optive Fusion 3 times a day for the dryness.  The computer screen and airconditioning effects mine quite a lot. 

Quite a lot of the things that people say work is unavailable in South Africa. Can't wait to be able to wear a bit of makeup again! Hope it's sorts out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.