At my wits' end - eyes severely dry, even worse in social situations!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, I'm 31 years old and have had rosacea since I was in my mid-twenties. I also have blepharitis/ocular rosacea. I currently clean my eyelids twice a day using blephasol lotion and a cotton pad, and usually do a warm compress/massage before I clean them at night. I have been on doxycycline on and off but I'm not sure it made a lot of difference. It seems that my eyes get more veins in them and get more swollen by the week, what am I doing wrong? My eyes are extremely dry and nearly every drop that I've tried (yes, preservative free) irritates them, so I've literally had to give up my hobby of video gaming and can only look at TV/anything with a screen for a few minutes at a time. Recently driving has also become a problem. I have depression/anxiety issues and my eye problems are so extreme I'm virtually house bound (I'm unemployed). Recently I've noticed that my eyes become much drier in any kind of social situation (even if a friend visits my eyes start to get sore and dry/swollen/red a few minutes after their arrival. Does anyone else experience this and is there anything I can do about it? I feel I'm just destined to be a loner because these eye issues have taken over my life. (I honestly blame roaccutane for both my rosacea and dry eyes/blepharitis, I took it way back when I was 17 for acne). Can I be helped or am I screwed? Eye doctors have failed to help me - one recommend i clean my lids with a mixture of original source shower gel (mint and tea tree oil) and water but it just made my eyes more irritated and caused more veins in my eyes. On the verge of giving up here!

Mark

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I totally understand. Eye problens can take over a persons life. I notice every symptom continuously. For dry eyes,drops can for some actually make them worse as some contain salt and dry eyes tend to have salty acqueous layer to the tear film. Cleanliness is very important. Mine were so blurry and my vision looked clouded and greasy. I now just do a warm,not hot eyegel mask at night for about five minutes,then manually massage upper and lower lid edges to help release oil of the glands into the tear film. Then wipe off the lid with a cool clean cloth. I put 1 drop of baby shampoo into a small cup and dip qtips in and wipe my lids and lid edges off with them. Then i rinse my lids with cool water. Main thing is check the oil glands on the rims of your eyes for clogged glands which are called posterior blepharitis or mgd. Have your eye doc check for it.
  • Posted

Hi all

so sorry to hear of everyone's struggle here with the dreaded conditions of Bleph and Dry eye....At this stage Im convinced for some of us its an internal thing, if you are run-down and your immune system has been weakened for whatever reasons , you are highly likely to develop some of theses undesireable conditions. Since last April Ive tried everything: Occusoft plus, blephasol, baby shampoo , flaxiseed eye bag , diet via a Naturopath and finally Doxy...After two months on doxy Ive stopped takn it as it made zero difference which was very disheartening considering I was on 250mg a day.

Finally I took the plunge and ordered Cliradex via Amazon. I contacted Cliaradex direct and they were most helpful but they only deliver within the USA. Im convinced my problem is Demodox so lets see how it goes. I do feel optimistic about the cliradex and I hope Im proven right. I just dont understand why so many Eye docs are reluctant to test for Demodox. Im hoping to be test in a couple of weeks thanks to an article a friend located in relation to a "Demodox Study", in relation to some research taking place. It seems to me that we could all get this condition under control and regain some sort of normality if we know the cause of our bleph...

Wishing everyone well and I will keep all posted on the Cliradex progression, has anyone else here found that Doxy was useless?

• Posted

one drop tea tree oil and no tears baby shampoo, wash your face with cold water, scrub rims of your eyelids. Same as cleiridex, works good, and cheaper.dena

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.