at my wits end - IBD??

Posted , 9 users are following.

My son who is 29 has had his fourth bout of severe abdominal pain (so bad he has to be hospitalised and put on Morphine for ten days at a time). He has severe headaches and gets sick when he eats. The first three times he was hospitalised after nine days he got better. He has about six to eight months when he is fine and then it returns. This last time he has not got better. He has had MRIs, CT Scans, colonoscopy, endoscopy etc etc. Only one test showed inflammation of his large intestine. The hospital cannot diagnose. He has lost two stone in weight (probably because when he eats he feels worse). It is now causing him to feel very depressed as he feels the doctors can't help. Anyone had anything similar?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It could be IBD, but it is hard to diagnose as they need to catch the inflammation to take a biopsy of it. It took years for them to find out that I had it and when I flare up, the pain can get so bad that I need to go to the hospital. Last night in fact I had a bout of severe pain. The pain is super bad and then I start to throw up. Having IBD is really rough on a person. I hope they figure it out soon, but if an x-ray showed his colon to be inflammed I would think that should be enough to diagnose IBD, but they still like to have a biopsy and even that can't totally be right. I was diagnosed as having Ulcerative colitis, but now I am having issues that point to Crohn's Disease. I am sorry that he has to go through this. I wish you all luck at getting a diagnosis and the proper treatment for what they figure out.

• Posted

Research Acute Intermittent Porphyria and see if his symptoms are similar. It's a rare condition that's often overlooked

• Posted

Has he been tested for Addison's disease? It is an incredibly rare disease, which requires a very specific blood test to uncover.

• Posted

Has your son tried a food diary to see which foods may trigger pain?
  • Posted

If doctors are not able to help, try naturopath from India. I got healed by naturopath I was diagnosed as PI IBS.
  • Posted

He sounds similar to me although he seems worse. I get terrible stomach that comes on and then disappears for months at a time. Does he get it more on one side? With the feeling sick after he eats that's the same as me and the doctors think it's GERD and I am on Omeprazole which you take to line the stomach before you eat. Maybe look into that for the sickness and see if he can be put on acid suppressors?

• Posted

I have ibd mines never gotten too out of hand but i can tell you the pain is just horrible specially in the morning what i do is smoke weed i know my suggestion may not seem appropriate to you but it helps me when i just cant take the pain anymore and i would definetly recommend to try a harmless plant before you give your son a real drug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.