At my wits end Omezraphole not working and everything triggers it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started to have problems 2 years ago - a greasy taste in my mouth in the mornings and a small irritating cough.  Doctor thought it was refux put me on 20mg Omezraphole and it sorted all the problems.  After 6 months the Doctor made me go for a tube down the throat to check nothing sinister and it was confirmed I had a small hiatus hernia tear,

Everything fine for about 2 years then the pharmacy started to change the brand (previously Dr Readies capsules) and all the symptoms came back with a vengence but much worse.  Constant sore throat, feeling sick, cough etc.  The doctor then tried me on two other PPIs one known as Zantac and I had massively serious  reactions to both (severe cramping and leg pain and throat closed up with the other) so told only option is Omezraphole.  I asked to change to tables rather than capsules and for a few days it seemed ok but they just do not seem to work now.

I am highly intolerant to wheat so have to follow a gluten free diet so by the time I rule out most foods then anything dairy or citrus what is there to eat?  Root vegetables give me terrible wind and indigestion as does salad items.

Also my throat is so sore all the time it gets you down and I worry about throat or esophogus cancers etc.  What other options are there?  Please tell me what you do or take to allievate symptoms etc

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi linda

I was on omeprazole too for over a year and got very worried about side effects so stopped taking them and now I take ranitidine 150mg twice a day and so far they are working fine, hope you start to feel better soon

• Posted

I've just stopped taking PPI's and when I get to my gastro I am going to ask for upping my ranitidine to twice a day as it helps. Omeprazole didn't work for me at all. I ended up on Pantaprazole for several months but still had breakthrough heartburn. 

Have you been tested for h-pylori? 

• Posted

Oh, so for symptoms I've been trying marshmallow tea and DGL along with Mastic gum. I had tested positive for h-pylori in the past but my gastroenterologist doesn't think that I have it. I've decided to go ahead and treat myself as though I do. 

• Posted

Hi Linda, sorry to hear your having all these problems, acid reflux (heartburn) is terribly unpleasant and can be quite painful, you've obviously been tested for h-pylori, so it's probably finding a treatment that works for you, Zantac i'm almost sure isn't a PPI, it's a type of medicine to reduce stomach...yes but not a PPI, i tried it years ago and it did nothing for me. I was prescribed Omeprazole 30mg and was on that for quite a few years and i would take the odd spoon of Gaviscon for break through heartburn. I started to get heartburn then a lot more and my GP changed me to another PPI, Lansoprazole 30mg, once a day and at night i would take Gaviscon advance before bed, i find this works very well for me, it's not ideal being on this medication for so long but i had a terrible time with acid reflux etc and it became very painful and i couldn't eat anything, i'm stable now and i'm careful what i eat, like pasties and anything pastry wise, alcohol can start it off aswell, amongst other things and i know everyone is different. I have to take them forever as my dad suffered terrible acid reflux and it wasn't very well controlled, plus at the time, quite a good few years ago, Drs didn't prescribe them PPI's much and my dad eventually became ill with Oesphagul cancer, probably exasperated by the awful heartburn he suffered from for years, so my GP is being extra careful with me regarding keeping it under control, they're not saying it caused his cancer but they say it played a part in it. Try and see your GP and try something else as there is other medication you can try, please let us no and take care😊

• Posted

Hi Linda, i also forgot to say, my GP has prescribed me Gaviscon advance liquid, which i can take up to 4 times a day but i normally only take it before bed as that is when heartburn can start when you lie down, i do have 2 pillows so i'm slightly upright aswell which helps aswell, all the best, S....😊

• Posted

For me it is SIBO which is caused by various types of bacteria. My doctor sent me for a hydrogen and methane test. I believe you can now get them online if your primary doctor won't prescribe this test. 

You can try enzymes to help break down your food faster. For years all I used was baking soda water which neutralizes the acid so it won't burn you. Just start with a small amount until you don't mind the taste. 1/2 teaspoon or less in 4-8 ounces of water sipped slowly. I use less throughout the day depending on stress. Our pancreas makes sodium bicarbonate but sometimes our bodies need help. 

• Posted

I can tolerate well cooked peeled zucchini. Sometimes scrambled eggs. Ground turkey and brown or white rice with only butter and sea salt. 

Also I've been on Xifaxan 13 months to keep bacteria under control and keep my weight up. For 2 years I weighed 94 lbs. For 18 years they have used all types of antibiotics but Xifaxan works for me without side effects. 

• Posted

I've been doing a lot of research as I leave my PPI's behind. I now take Ranitidine twice a day. I'll start reducing the dosage gradually but it's getting me through my PPI withdrawal.

Other suggestions: Aloe Vera juice and D-Limonene. I'm also going to transition one of the diets recommended for people with GERD.  Another one is Artichoke Oil. It sounds kind of obscure.

The Mediterranean diet is a bit confusing because so many of the ingredients are on the 'dont eat' list. Since you are already gluten free, perhaps you can try the SCD diet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.