At the end of my tether!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had an issue for the past year or so, with waking during the night and getting palpitations/irregular heart beat. I was prescribed metoprolol, but that made me dizzy so I weaned off that. A 24 hr holter monitor did not really show anything, so it was put down to anxiety and I was told to take propranolol when I had the problem, not every day, and an anxiety tablet at night. An echocardiogram did show that I have a slight mitral valve reflux, but that this is not the cause of the night-time palps.

I found that taking the propanolol when I had the palpitations did no more good than sitting up or walking around for a while, so I stopped taking those and the anxiety pills. However, recently the problem was getting to me again and I thought I needed to do something, so I went back to see the cardio and was started on Betaloc (metoprolol). I soon began to get a tight feeling around my chest and numb arm/fingers, so I told the cardio and she changed me to Emconcor 2.5mg once a day (bisoprolol). Now I am getting flashing lights in my peripheral vision and I am convinced this is a side effect of these latest tablets. I saw a neurologist and he referred me for a CT scan of my head, as I also get lots of optical migraines (not a headache, just a shimmering flashing spot that moves across my vision - I've been getting these for years, but was told they were nothing to worry about).

I started taking the Betaloc in early September this year, and the Emconcor about three weeks ago, but I am seriously considering weaning off these tablets. I am not sure whether I can tolerate the original problem better than the side effects of the beta blockers. As I have not been taking them for that long, is it OK to stop these more quickly than if I had been on them a long time?

Reading some threads here, I really wish I had not started them at all, and I really do not want to be suffering the after-effects of these for years to come!

Sorry for long post. Thank you for any advice anyone can give.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you were on some of the worst medicines out there I went through hell for about 6 months on two of them doctors told me my medical issues were not from the meds . I got on other meds feel great again. Doctors don't know everything. Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom, I am currently only taking half of my prescribed dose and will see how that goes before reducing again. Even though I have not been on them very long, I am scared to just stop them, reading some posts on here. But these flashing lights in my eye are really worrying. I should have had the CT scan last week, but the machine broke and so I am still waiting! This morning I had a very sharp stabbing pain in the left eye (where I am seeing the flashes) and that worried me even more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.