At the "wishing I hadn't bothered " stage!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Nearly 8 weeks post rotator cuff op and didn't expect such pain after taking the sling off at 6 weeks! I would've rather been prepared as its often very demoralising/depressing. Why don't they tell you? Physio only once a fortnight is also not helpful as I need more reassurance than that!

I also cannot always escape the feeling that somehow it hasn't worked or its torn again or I've done something. The exercises kill me! Really scary at times.... However, from the posts on here I am beginning to realise it is probably normal - so thank you people - you might just have saved my sanity...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there..I am now 7 months Post Op and I am almost 100%. I do everything now..but those first 4 months are a B*TCH! I had shoulder and neck massaged about 2 times a day by my daughters. When the muscles tighten up in the shoulder and neck, it actually causes more pain. I had a lacross (sp?) ball I rolled on up against the wall. I would put it in my wing, neck, or any muscles surrounding the shoulder to ease that pain. Massage is what saved me. Good luck!!
    • Posted

Thank you so much Mia! I'm very glad to hear you're doing well and grateful for your positivity! smile

• Posted

I've got to say, I am at 10 weeks and going through the same thing since sling has been removed. What is even worse is the pain that has developed in my wrist and hand/fingers. Makes it difficult to do the needed therapy/exercises. 

• Posted

I had real trouble going on with my fingers and wrists very early on whilst still in the sling. It really truly worried me - so whenever I was sitting around (which tbh was most of the time!) I used to just squeeze a little stress ball continally, also massage my hand, fingers and wrist, even soaking in hottish water - maybe this would help you Bill? When I used to have a shower and leave my arm to hang, my hand would go almost purple until - I presume - the blood flow was re-established. For me I think it was poor circulation due to the sling - my fingers are still a bit stiff in the morning but are pretty sorted now, and my wrist. I still squeeze the stress balls though!
  • Posted

Although I had stiffness in wrist while in sling, it has really escalated once I have had to use my hands aggressively during therapy. 
  • Posted

This too shall pass. I don't think that anyone regrets it in the long run!

One thing that I learned while I  was in physical therapy...say no if an exercise hurts too much or if your p/t wants you to do 40 of an exercise and you can't do more than 5. 

• Posted

Thank you for that. You are so right. I am beginning to realise that I do know my own body and limitations and things have eased now I understand this! I drove today for the first time and am chuffed with myself. Slowly wins the race! Thanks again for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.