Atenolol 100mg taper

Posted , 8 users are following.

new to this, have been on atenolol for 2 years 100mg tapered off for 1 month, miagraines confusion shaking then the palpitations started. anyone know how long you need to taper for to get the body use to life without it. thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

it took me months to get the atenolol withdrawal effects out of my system... i tapered the tablets...but had awful withdrawal as a cosequence. id been prescribed betablockers for 4years...then my meds were changed to a other beta blocker..ie atenolol. i had bad side effects from both beta blockers ..hence the tapering . i took atenolol for 2/3 years... i have atrilfibrillation.

i had panic attacks! palps, dizziness?

!hot flushes. it was hard not to return to the beta blocker. i hope this has helped you. it takes time for the body to recover...but for me...im so much better. good luck.

• Posted

thanks yes it has helped back on the full dose now 😦 keep chipping away at it

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I can relate and sympathize with what you've experienced withdrawing from atenolol. I'm going through the same thing.

How are you doing now? Hope you are feeling well and are free of negative symptoms.

Take care

• Posted

gosh its so long now since i weaned off the atenolol.. i dont take any beta blockers since then.. my blood pressure is no worse for stopping it.. i have a fib..so my diastolic is always a bit high.. i check my bp occasionally but did a week of checking..and i was happy with the results.. i still have a nervous jittery feeling..but thats the afib.. No panic attacks.. etc.. it took me a good while to wean off... im sure that this med works for some..but not for me.. i still take 2.5 mgs of rampril.. and rivaroxiban,..blood thinner.

i hope that you keep well.. best wishes

• Posted

Hello Jeanie. I'm trying to withdraw from atenolol. How are you doing now? Thanks.

• Posted

Hello , Unfortunately, I had quite a rough go of it trying to taper off the atenolol. I had many long runs of skipped beats/pvcs that were very bothersome. I was tapering slowly, but my heart would not let me finish the tapering course. So, for now, I'm back on atenolol, taken once a day. My GP did not offer another medication to mitigate the frequency of the palpitations. I do want to try again to taper off in the future. I've been on atenolol for three years as of this July.

Thanks so much for asking! I'm sorry I did not have more positive news or helpful tips to share. How are you getting on with your tapering?

• Posted

Thanks Jeanie. I haven't taken atenolol very long although I have all the withdrawal issues if I try to quit. It seems some of us are just more likely to experience beta blocker withdrawal syndrome than others. I was amazed to realize it is actually a determined syndrome. I've been an active person all my life. Now, if I don't take the atenolol and go out to walk my heart will race all day. Maddening.

You're very kind to respond. Thank you.

• Posted

I tapered metoprolol down to 1/4 tablet and took the last dose 17 days ago. I found out that there are herbs to help with the withdrawals. After 4 days I felt great, and now I have no more tachycardia or any other symptoms. The herbs I used were: Motherwort, lemon balm, skullcap, and valerian. I used them as a tincture and only added valerian at night before sleep. My husband had stopped metoprolol before, without using these herbs, and it took him 3 months to feel normal. He started taking Hawthorn for high blood pressure instead of going back on metoprolol, and he's doing very well. Hawthorn lowered my blood pressure too much, since it's already low. Try these herbs one by one, then take the ones that relieve your symptoms.

• Posted

thanks for that am on the hawthorn and c0q10 blood pressure in normal range...hence coming off atenolol. soo cold. brain fog etc..

• Posted

Trying to get off of atenolol. If I don't take it my heart races and I am very week. If I do take a small dose it calms my heart but keeps me from sleeping. I fall asleep for a few minutes and wake right back up. What dosage did you use for the herbs. If a tincture, how many drops? Thanks much.

• Posted

I recommend using herbal tinctures, it works very quickly. I mixed equal parts Motherwort, Lemon balm, and Skullcap. In the beginning I took 15 drops every 3 hours round the clock because my palpitations were so bad. After 5 days I only needed 8 drops 3-4 times daily. This I took for 3 months. I also added Valerian drops at night to sleep. With herbs, you start with a few drops and see how your body reacts. You can keep adding 2-3 more drops until you get the desired effect. Basically with these herbs you can take as much as you need as often as you need, such as whenever you get symptoms. This helped me very much, and I promise it does get better.

• Posted

Thanks April! I will try the herbs. I really don't want to be on any beta blocker if I don't have to. Funny how the docs tell you they are non addictive.

Thanks so very much for your response and info.

• Posted

100mg is the maximum "normal" dosing for atenolol. For me 12.5mg per day has mostly done the job, but sometimes I've temporarily increased it. Doctor thinks I'm nuts but I don't like the way I feel on even 25mg.

One month may be too quick to taper off from 100mg.

Presume you were taking it for high blood pressure?

How did you feel when you were down at 25mg?

For that matter, what got you to start tapering off?

I think it clears from your body pretty quickly, but we do get acclimated to it, and we generally still have the underlying conditions.

I've had short periods when I was able to skip it, but for one reason or another, have then gotten right back on it.

So, check with your doctor of course, but getting back on a small dose, might be something worth trying. If that works (and I hope it does), then try a slower taper back towards zero.

• Posted

thanks everyone.. yes was taking for high blood pressure. i was 23 days off but had to get back on due to palpitations in hospital for 3 nights sweating couldnt stand. never had palpitations before.. nurses suggested afib because of being young 26.. i think im going to taper 87.5.. 75..67.5 etc monthly if that dont work will do the afib? the doctors keep tlling me no wothdrawal.. miagraines when i weaned to 50mg last time

• Posted

My understanding is that it is different for everyone. I have been on atenolol for many years. Im having a tough time with all kind of symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.