ATENOLOL

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI all

What do you think of atenolol for high blood pressure?.I'm on 2.5 bendoflumethazide and 2x25 mg atenolol .Have been for a long ttime .Isn't working well now and it's proving difficult to find an extra so was told to take another atenol.This despite being told atenolol is an old drug not given a lot ,a fact I confirmed with chemist .I know it is still popular in America .Anyone on it or any thoughts .Don't want to change meds .Haven't added extra yet .This obsessing about BP is just         making it worse .Taking supplements but still not great .Am in process of buying bungalow which is a mess so that is not helping .Can't face the thought of moving .Thanks All Liz

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I have been on 100mg Atenolol for many years and along with other drugs keeps my BP fine around 135 / 85.

My wife maxine was on 2.5 Bisoprol which made her very tired and wanting to sleep alot, we reduced it with the Cardiologist permission to 1.25 and this helped a lot, but she still felt tired a lot.

So once again I got the Cardiologist to agree changing from Bisoprol to 50mg Atenolol.

The change has been quite remarkable with her being awake much earlier, not sleeping in the afternoons for hours and staying up until 10 / 11 am +

You are on a very low dose of Atenolol. I cannot rember what side effects bendoflumethazide has or what it actually, but if my memory serves me right it one of the drugs that knocks the hell out of you.

I also take with my atenolol, Doxazozosinwhich is an alpha - blocker and used to treat high blood pressure, I also take Ramipril as does my wife it it decreases the body'd production of substances that could raise your blood pressure again with no ill effect.

So go and see your GP or Cardiologist and ask for a different set of drugs , there are many on the market, but read the side effects before starting to take them.

I hope this helps.

Regards & best wishes Ken.

• Posted

Hello Ken and Maxine

Thank you very much for reply .You both take a lot .I am on long waiting list for cardiologist .Apparently I can't take ramipril .I haven't been taking any extra pills .Do you find any side effects from 100 mg atenolol ?Trouble is GP's disagree in my health centre . Our NHS in Northern Ireland is not good . I worry a lot and especially now it isn't helping .Kind Regards

Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

We both take Atenolol, my wife takes 50mg and I take 100mg both of us have no side effecte.

I think every person will or will not experience side effects depending on whats wrong with them and also what other drugs they are taking.

Good luck Ken.

• Posted

Hello

Hope you are both well and thank you for helping

Best Wishes Liz

• Posted

Hello Could you give me some encourageement or courage .Had to go to Gp today ,was a bundle of nerves so knew it wouldn't be good 170/82 . I asked about the 24 hr monitor and you know short time he said even at night it went up and down although not nearly  as badly .I did have a bad day then at health centre annd how can you sleep well with monitor .I have other illnesses and take quite a few meds ,Among thes e a tablet for sleep .I also go to bathroom a few times and I'm scared of falling . I would love thoughts of someone who also takes atenolol.His suggestion is I take 50mg about 8.30pm and 25 mg at 8.30 amwith the bendro .I have probably said I amm 69 and a panicker .Hope to hear from you . Kind R egards Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.