Atenolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 20, I have hypothyroidism, anxiety, depression and allergies. I’m currently taking Xanax .5mg, levothyroxine 25mg, and Claritin every day. So... I have have a lot of anxiety around my heart. I struggle a lot with chest discomfort, high heart rate, Palpitations, shortness of breath, and vertigo. Over the past 6 months i’ve had lots of tests done, including blood tests, EKG's, echocardiogram, stress test, chest ct (for my lungs, they actually thought I had a pulmonary embolism at first) and most recently a 24 hour holter monitor. My cardiologist couldn’t find anything wrong with me besides my episodes of sinus tachycardia I get when I’m stressed/excited/dehydrated/etc. My heart rate can get quite high, up to 160 when its really bad. He said I could try taking 25mg atenolol when I have these episodes. I took my first pill yesterday because I was having one of these episodes, and it worked great for my heart rate. Unfortunately though, it lowered my blood pressure too much (Systolic was anywhere from 105-85 when I checked) and I called the doctor to ask about that. He told me not to bother taking it if it’s gonna make my blood pressure that low. I’m kinda stuck now though... am I just supposed to wait these episodes out then if I can’t take a beta blocker ? And can that one dose I took give me withdrawals or would I have to had been on it long term? I’m really nervous about the whole thing and I feel pretty alone right now. I am not sure what to do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.