Atenolol and insomnia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been taking 50mg of Atenolol 1x per day for two weeks. Since I started taking it, I haven't slept more than a few hours a night. I lay awake until the early hours of the monring. Is this normal? Will it go away as my body adjusts to the atanolol or should I stop taking it? I'm getting desperate. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could be that you have to get used to it. Maybe all will be fine . My experience of atenolol isn't good. Side effects...horrendous...blurred vision ,swollen ankles,depression,lethargy, unable to stand for more than a few mins, walking was so difficult, bad nightmares,loss of hair, cold feet,no improvement in b pressure,or pulse,weight increase, puddled head..couldn't think straight,couldn't get to sleep. I was on 100 mgs then cut to 50 and then  25 mgs with my gps  permission. I've now stopped it completely  withdrawal was so bad,but I'm so much better now. The side effects listed above have gone...there's proof to me that atenolol was the culprit.

I don't know why you've been prescribed this med. I have a fib which in now persistent. Do your research, be bold and ask for explanations. I've been too much of a pushy at for the past 6 years,trusting my gps and cardio doc. I've read recent  research and I'm now on a lose weight mission. No more beta blockers for me,but that's not me telling you what's best for you. I hope you can sleep well. You will find lots of support on here. 

• Posted

Sorry but it's meant to say...I've been too much of a pussycat! 

Soz ,but I hate betablockers,they've given me hell for 6 years. I'm well rid of them. Just got to get rid of the 2.5 rampril! Take care. Remember it's only my personal experience of bisoprolol and then atenolol. 

• Posted

Thanks for your response, Elizabeth. I'm on Atenolol for hypertension and it's my first beta blocker experience. It's actually my first time taking any long-term prescription so I'm nervous. I'm 24 so the hypertension was alarming and now I'm just lost rolleyes
    • Posted

Atenlol is one of the oldest and cheapest drugs to use for hypertension! Do your homework....research hypertension and meds. Maybe your lifestyle could be changed...lose weight, less alcohol, no smoking, eat more healthy,more exercise. Hope I'm not sounding rude! 

There's lots of stuff on the web about reducing blood pressure. Hope you can find some answers to your problem. Wish I had the answer for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.