Atenolol users, feedback please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. I'm a 29 year old female with chronic tachycardia and high blood pressure. I was recently put on metoprolol but had horrible side effects. So, my doctors switched me to atenolol a few days ago. It has had a lot less side effects, but the one thing that i have noticed is that when it comes about 5 hours before taking my next dosage (im on 25 mg every 24 hours) i start feeling SO cloudy headed and fatigued that I cant hardly funtion at all! Has anyone else experienced this? Im currently taking it in the evening (because with metoprolol i had to take it before bed or i would get so sick) and im wondering if I should switch to taking it in the mornings instead - so that once it starts "wearing off" and i feel lousy, that would be in the night time instead of the middle of the day? Or is it just a coincidence that im feeling lousy mid day? I feel fine when i first wake up, but then around noon-2 or so i feel so wiped out..... When do most people take this drug? Of course this is something that I plan to follow up with my doctor about, but its a holiday weekend and they wont be back for 4 more days - so i just thought that I would ask other peoples experiences in the meantime. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? When do you feel is the best time to take this medication? Any other feedback? I know fatigue can be a side effect with this in general, but wondering why it only gets so bad at certain points....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi i do not have high BP nut both my sister and my guy have been on atenolol for years and have no side effects in fact my guy has tried other BP which did cause him side effects but not atenolol it might be the other med you are taking in conjunction. the best thing to do is discuss with your doctor i believe my sister and my guy take it in the morning

• Posted

im not on any other meds but a simple google search tells me all of my side effects can be common with atenolol. thanks for the feedback.

• Posted

i misunderstood everyone reacts differently to meds. i hope you can find the right doseage

• Posted

25mg once a day is a small dose - but I take an even smaller dose, 12.5mg once a day! And I know that it often seems to lose effect after about 18 hours. However it doesn't leave me feeling tired, more like the opposite. But the side-effects of beta blockers can be just all over the place.

You might consider taking half every twelve hours.

The usual starting dose is 50mg once a day, but I was originally prescribed 25mg twice a day, which surprises some doctors, apparently, but seems to make sense with my experience. But even the 25mg was way too much for me.

Hope that helps, until you can talk to your doctor.

• Posted

this is very interesting to me, as today when i noticed the symptoms starting it was right at 18 hours. i think i will talk to my doctor after the holiday about splitting the dose and see what he thinks. thank you!

• Posted

Ashley,

Chronic tachycardia and high blood pressure at 29 years of age would make me think there is something going on behind the scenes to cause this at such a young age. You have not stated what your blood pressure is and if you have had any blood tests which can be quite revealing. Has your GP mentioned Left Ventricular Hypertrophy at all?

Paul

• Posted

i didnt mention it because we are still in the process of trying to figure out what is going on. im overweight and have had tachycardia my entire life, so theyre not overly shocked by it but are still trying to determine a cause. in the meantime i am on atenolol to help regulate these things, so that is what my question is regarding.

• Posted

I recently tried ATENOLOL AFTER TRYING 5 other heart meds i stayed on it for 10 days it did seem okay at first i was only on 12.5 mg however it seemed to make my edema worse and i just felt not quite myself not present foggy . one suggestion is maybe try if doctor says okay to split dose half morning half night . IF YOU FIND A GOOD HYPERTENSION DRUG PLEASE POST !

• Posted

I think that I will ask my doctor about splitting the dose if this seems to continue. Thank you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.