atfl ligament completely torn from talus bone and partially torn from fibula

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I have sprained my ankle 4 weeks ago, there was a pain and swelling on the incident day , From next day i was able to walk, after one week , i have played tennis for couple of days. I dont have any pain or swelling now but MRI scan says "atfl ligament completely torn from talus bone and partially torn from fibula".

My doctor suggested me the surgery.

Can you guys, please advise me on this.

Any help in this regards, is highly appreciable

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mm,

A torn anterior talofibular ligament is pretty serious-- it falls in category of worst sprain, called a Type III.

Standard treatment includes immobilization in a cast or air boot because there is ankle instability from a torn ATFL ligament (and it needs time to heal and regenerate torn segments).

You should be aware that in an ATFL sprain pain often decreases or goes away after a while-- this is due to nerve damage. So you may lulled into complacency because your pain went away.

Standard treatment approach is generally conservative (rest, rehab, etc.) before surgery is even considered. Think about that carefully.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Kpower,

Thanks for your reply.Can you please let me know, if it is possible to heal complete torn atfl ligament without surgery ?

• Posted

Hello bro...it depends on your state and your feelings

Ask yourself some questions

Do you have pain after walking distances?

Do you have loss in range of motion?

Do you feel pain while standing alot?

Can you resume your sportive activities without any restrictions?

If the answers are normal or near normal that doesn't restrict your life or activities so you don't need a surgery even recommended by surgeon because most of sprains heal without surgery even grade III sprain..

Get well soon bro

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.