Ativan help please, I’m freaking out

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been on this for 3 weeks. I take a1/4 of a.5mg lorazepam once a day.  I also take 20mg of propranolol twice a day for migraines and vertigo.  I don’t feel good on the Ativan and I’m freaking out at all the horrid stories about getting off this med.  I want to taper off cause I know when I call the psychiatrist he’ll say just stop it.  Is it ok to take an1/8 of the pill for a few days then stop?  Can some please explain how to do this.  Thank you 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes Patty, Get off ASAP Take the eighth for a few nights or days and then stop completely !!! Just stop.

No need for an explanation of how to stop---just STOP. 

• Posted

Wow that was scary.  This med must be really bad?  Did you take it?  I’m guessing you did.  I plan to let my psychiatrist know tomorrow and start the taper.  
  • Posted

Yes Patty, I took it and at least 8 other benzos. I'm 72 years old and I speak from experience. The benzos-all of them-are like weed killers. They eat their way into your brain slowly changing its' chemistry until one day you realize you  can't live without them. Or sleep without them, whatever the case may be. You have been on ativan for such a short time that it is ok to stop it without tapering, in my estimation.

• Posted

Hi Patty, I have been on the ativan for 20 years and started tapering at the end of august 2017. I was on 3 mg a night for sleep and never knew what this pill was or how hard it is to get off them. Imagine that was 24 times what you are on. i am know down to 1.5 mg and tried on 1 mg a few days ago and no sleep. I am trying 1 and a 1/4 now and little sleep. The amount you are on should be a lot easier than me. Try taking half the dose and then in a couple days go 1 day on and one day off and try to go off right away. i would imagine that lower dose might be, I say MIGHT BE a little easier but explain to the doctor that you do not want to take these. A lot of people are getting cut off of this drug with no lower dosing. I wish I knew 20 years ago what this was. I never looked it up until august 2017. good luck and keep everyone here posted. We appreciate your feedback and hope we all can help each other. Take a deep breath and thank God that you were only on this for the 3 weeks before you relaized how bad this stuff really is. sincerely, Gay My dog is Ruby. smile
    • Posted

Hi Gay,  

Thanks for the encouragement.  Some people I talk to about this med say oh just take who cares what you have to do later to get off it.  

It’s bad how the doctors don’t tell people about this drug. They just hand them out.  I know in the last week on it I’ve felt really depressed, I think it’s the med.  with this vertigo disorder I have I needed help with the anxiety it’s causing but I just don’t feel good when I take it.  So I’ll keep up the taper for a few days then do what you suggested and take every other day.  I hope your taper goes well and you get off this to.  

• Posted

your good 0.5 mg is the lowest dose made ... And you don't really have withdraws from Ativan like with valum or Xanax... And you a already taken a fraction of such a low dose , your panicking for know reason ... But if that worried about just stop all together.. and just keep on on you at all times just in case.

• Posted

Hi Patty. I am officially off of the Ativan as of 4 days ago. Took 5 months to go from 3mg to zero. so happy. You can do this. It is going to be okay. Just think... I was on it for 20 years. If I can do, I know in my heart you can do it. thanks to my wonderful pain management PA that helped me through this. She has applauded me from day one. We all need support from someone or anyone even if we don't even really know them. I don't think it was an addiction as much as you start these things and then you don't know what will happen when you get off. Probably just like any drug. Let's face it, at least we were not on heroin or other type of drugs that would be more difficult to get off. (Most likely) Never done those. But keep faith and just try it a night with none like I finally did. dont' think about it. Just pretend you did take it and I bet you will be just fine. Keep us posted. We don't all have horrible stories. Ruby S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.