Atonic Bladder

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had issues emptying my bladder for a number of years. One Urologist was keen to do a Turp for a long time, but i was notkeen on the side effects. I pursued the Green Light Laser surgery, but the second urologist said the outcome would be no better than a Turp and there was only a 20% chance it would improve my condition. The wait for surgery was at least a year.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and i occasionally became unable to void at all. i went for catheter training, as initial attempts were painful and not always successful. I switched to hydrophilic catheters and my catheter issues went away. About a year ago i lost the ability to urinate and could not sense when i was full. I've been on intermittent catheters ever since. I went for two Urodynamic Flow tests from the aforementioned Urologists. The first guy was still hung up on a Turp, even though he felt it was a bladder issue. The second Urologist said Prostate surgery would not help me. I had to fill out some forms for the catheter insurance and the Urologist identified it as Atonic Bladder, which no one had ever told me. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, so i have no idea if it's related.

I've had at least four UTIs over the past year that were serious enough to notice. I had a stiff neck and chills with two of the UTIs, a temperature of 40C with another UTI and severe stomach cramps with the last UTI. I suspect i have had others that were less severe. i also had a bad chest infection with one if the UTIs, it had a fast onset and disappeared just as quickly with antibiotics.

The easy answer is that it's the catheters, but i don't think that's the case, as the catheters are sleeved, so you don't actually touch them. I've been having stomach issues the past few months and a lack of appetite. This was much worse with the last UTI, and the antibiotics seemed to make my stomach feel better and my appetite improved, but seems to be declining again.

I've had Fecal Incontinence for quite a few years, but the GI testing found nothing, so they have stopped looking, despite still having the issues. Ozempic has greatly improved these issues, so it's obviously partly motility related. i mention this, as I'm wondering if this is related to the above appetite issues.

I've also been having pre-cum leaking out of my Penis when I catheterize, so I'm not sure whats up with that, but i did see UTIs listed as a possible cause.

I've got an appointment booked with the Urologist to discuss, but i think it's more likely a gut or other issue causing the UTIs. I'm currently without a GP, which is not helping resolve this issue

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.