Atorvastatin

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI, Was put on 80mg atorvastatin following a heart attack last October. Have had constant pain and muscle stiffness in both shoulders and cannot fully extend both arms. The cardiac nurse suggested I come off them for 2 weeks last xmas to see and ALL the pain went! After seeing the doctor he advised me to continue with Atorvastatin "and see". After one week I was in agony again. I reduced the dose to 40mg a month ago and it made no difference. Other side effects I  have are twitchy eyelids, on and off loose stools and tiredness. I saw a different GP today as I cannot carry on like this. He has told me to stop Atorvastatin and has arranged for me to have an extensive blood test next Wednesday. He did say that there are risks with Atorvastatin re muscle and joint problems, liver etc. SO I will see what the tests say and how I am off the Atorvastatin.

2 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your gp is wrong, there's heaps of evidence that statins cause muscle weakness which is sometimes permanent.  You don't mention what your cholesterol readings are:  some doctors prescribe statins "as a precaution" to everyone who's had a heart attack even if they don't have high cholesterol.

Have you also experienced depression, extreme fatigue and libido problems?  These are also common on statins.

I decided last year that I'd rather risk another heart attack than stay on statins because life just wasn't worth living. 

• Posted

Thanks. My cholesterol levels were 7.5 when I had my MI. The doctors could not understand why as i had a good diet, slim etc. Half family have high cholesterol , other half not. i cant speak for them re diet but all slim, fitt..ish, I think. have stopped statins and my level is 6.11 at present.

Im sure now that MY heart attack was STRESS more than cholesterol. always had low BP.

• Posted

What are the stats on how much your risk gets lowered by being on statins?  2%?  3%?  Taking statins ONLY reduces the RISK of heart conditions, and that risk is already very low.  They are shooting for 0% risk while the actual risk after a heart operation may only be 2% to start with.  I don't know those percentages, that's why I am asking, but have hear 2-3% risks being bantered about.  Anybody know?

After my heart op - triple bypass and aortic valve replacement, NONE caused by highy cholesterol - mine has always been fine - they put me on 40mg Simvastatin and when I asked how long, my cardiologist said, "Oh.  For the rest of your life, of course."

Not once since I had the operation nearly 3 years ago, has he even mentioned side effects, much less counseled me about them.  And let me tell ya, for the statins they are REAL.  And substantial.  I was forgetting my bank account number, which I had remembered hundreds of times since I started that account decades ago, plus who knows what I was not remembering now that I was not remembering what I needed to remember...  I could go on...

I went off of them on April 29, have only been off of them for half a month, and my memory is already starting to go back to normal.

Being told to these statins blindly and without weighing what good they will actually do for you - which may be VERY marginal, as in slim to none - is criminal IMHO and should be outlawed.   We take them because we believe in our caretakers, they should know, right?  

Heh heh...

• Posted

I'm glad to hear you're off the statins but I'm amazed to read about yet another person who apparently didn't check the manufacturers' warnings, let alone other info on the internet.

Your last paragraph puts all the responsiility on your doctor: you don't have to do what you're told, you know, let alone blindly.  I agree doctors should be more responsible with what they prescribe, but we also have to take responsibility for what we put in our own bodies.

• Posted

Yes of course you are right but after a serious life event we all do not think clearly straight away maybe with the initial coming to terms with the shock. Also depression often is an immediate problem. As an ex nurse I had always researched and questioned any medication before accepting it.
    • Posted

I'm not an ex-nurse but I research all medication, including non-prescription, before I put it in my body:  I did enough damage with the nicotine in the past!   I find my brain goes into analytical clarity fairly soon after a shock, health or otherwise, so I can try & work out how to respond or change the situation, but that's just me
  • Posted

I don't believe it is our role on this forum to advise people as to what drugs they should and should not be taking.

Statins are routinely prescribed after heart attacks as a precaution irrespective of whether  cholesterol level is high or low.  We all know that virtually all drugs have side effects.  Equally one would like to avoid having another heart attack and it's a question of weighing up the pros and cons. 

It's great that you are having extensive blood tests.  I too had a heart attack about a year ago but, due to satisfactory blood results, have been able to reduce my Atorvastatin to 20mgs per day and side effects have been similarly reduced. 

I'd love to come off all medication but don't particularly wish to drop dead of another heart attack at this moment in time.

Let's keep it real folks.  I'm not a smoker nor a drinker.  I eat healthily and exercise daily.  Always have done.  Still had a heart attack.  Am being regularly monitored and am on relatively low doses of medication.  Maybe these doses are keeping me up and running  - who knows?  You may know what feels right for you but are you in a position to prescribe for chris51153?  I think not. 

Wait for the results of your blood tests and then take it from there.  Good luck.

Alex

• Posted

No-one was giving advice or prescribing anything, only sharing personal experiences, which is what I believe this forum is for.

That's great if your negative effects have reduced on a lower dosage, but it didn't make any difference in my case.   I don't know if all the old posts are available but if so, it might be a good idea for you to read back through them, especially the ones from people with permanent disability due to muscle and nerve damage from statins.

You'll also find references to the fact that what's now regarded as high cholesterol was increased by a US committee which had a majority of pharmaceutical company representatives, just around the time statins were first introduced.

Give the side effects and how easy & simple it is to have cholesterol levels tested regularly, I don't understand why statins are prescribed for people who don't have a cholesterol issue, particularly as many if not most doctors won't believe their patients are experiencing such disabling negative effects as extreme fatigue; severe depression; constant intermittent pain and muscle weakness.

You seem very blase about statins being routinely prescribed whether cholesterol is high or low.   Are you not aware that low cholesterol can be a problem and may be associated with the subsequent development of dementia because the brain needs a certain level of cholesterol to function fully?   Given how  many elderly people have been on statins for years, maybe that's a factor in the so-called dementia explosion?

In my opinion "keeping it real" on this site includes everyone being able to share their personal experiences without being accused of giving advice or prescribing anything

• Posted

well said Jude...I couldn't agree more...too many of us are now paying the consequences for having been on statins.....
    • Posted

Excellent response Jude.  Particularly the part about low cholesterol and dementia.  Cholesterol isnt the 'bad boy' in isolation.  The body needs it for brain function etc.  It's a fact (not just my opinion) that high cholesterol alone is NOT responsible for heart attacks etc., other factors have to come into play.  The benefits of statins for those people who have had previous cardiac events is NOT primarily due to their cholesterol lowering properties - this fact is not promoted by GPs but should be.  The pharmaceutical companies' profit plummet once a drug is off patent and it's common knowledge they have to compensate for that by getting it more widely prescribed to bulk up sales.  The cholesterol 'myth' is a prime marketing tool.  I would suggest that those who have any doubts about the toxicity of statins do some further medical journal reading on the subject.
    • Posted

Thank you. I do feel that I have had negative side effects, as alot of peeps from Atorvastatin. I have come off them and will monitor my cholesterol myself from now. As for the other heart meds I would not risk having another heart attack as I feel (ex nurse) that I know what they do.
  • Posted

Alexandra -

I feel what you are saying, and respect those thoughts.  Just can't agree with you.

You said, "Statins are routinely prescribed after heart attacks as a precaution irrespective of whether  cholesterol level is high or low.  We all know that virtually all drugs have side effects." 

You sound exactly like my cardiologist, a highly respected one in our community, head of cardiology where I have my heart care monitored for the procedure I had to have done in June of 2012.  (With my cardiologist never once counseling me on the side effects of anything he was prescribing, while seeing me once every 3-4 months since then, usually personally and sometimes with me being seen by other cardiology doctors in the department, all of whom report to him.  He comes from exactly that point of view.  His statement to me: "All drugs have side effects.")

I am not trying to say anybody here should or should not take the statins, I am NOT advising NOT taking them, I am not a doctor and am not pretending to be one.  I am saying that it seems wrong to me for doctors to simply be sweeping those side effects under the rug and to NOT be counseling each and every patient that in the case of statins, these side effects can be permanently debilitating/damaging, as the warning about statins appearing on the FDA's website openly declares (use .gov, not .com, and type "Statin side effects" in the search box).  And that the patient should be told that.  

You said, "Equally one would like to avoid having another heart attack and it's a question of weighing up the pros and cons."  Exactly.  Patients assume that unless mentioned, side effects will be negligible compared to having another heart episode.  In the case of statins the effects are anything but negigible, and I want patients of HAVE the pros and cons to weigh.

In my case my 40mg of Atorv was reduced to 20mg by my cardiologist when I told him about the memory issues I was having, still enough memory issues stayed in place for me to know they were still causing problems even at that lowered dosage.  I don't like not knowing what it is that I don't know I don't know.  Or what should be naturally occuring to me in the form of memories, and is not.  It's like hearing music from a regular grade audio system all your life.  You don't know what you're missing until you hear a Mark Levinson system in action, and things you never knew existed leap out at you and surround you and immerse you in your experience.  I want to have my mind be fully accessible to me, and not a patchwork quilt with peices missing, like it becomes on the statins.

My heart condition did not involve a heart attack, BTW, it was non-cholesterol related stenosis of the aortic valve, causing my normally 4cm opening to be at .82cm, 1/4 of what it should be.  And triple bypass, of 3 spindly blood vessels feeding my heart that should have been thick and full, as is normal, which it appears were damaged by the 6 months of radiation therapy I had to endure in 1980 due to Hodgkins Disease.  This Hodgkins Disease has also caused my thyroid to be weaker than it should, since my thyroid gland was hit by the rays too, so I take 100mcg of Levothyroxine daily, which is also on the list of drugs causing memory issues.  Unfortunately I can't just stop taking thyroid supplementation, that WOULD be inadvisable.  Perhaps in my case the one exacerbates the negative effects of the other, meaning I should only take the statins if absolutely necessary.  Not "on protocol after any heart operation", as is commonly practiced by the medical community.

In short, I asked them point blank if my heart problems had been caused by cholesterol at all, since my cholesterol readings before the operation were not in any danger zones, nor are they now, nearly 3 years later.  They point blank said "No."  They wanted me on them "just in case - we don't want further heart problems in the future."

You said, "You may know what feels right for you but are you in a position to prescribe for chris51153?  I think not."  And you're right.  I am not in that position.  I simply want Chris to have all the options presently available.   Without this site and others like it, like the FDA's new warnings about statins posted on their website, I would have blythely gone along with the program of being on statins for the rest of my life, possibly only knowing in 5-10 years the permanent damage they may have done, and at that point irrevocably.  (According to the people here, the damage they WOULD have done.)

And I still have not seen any stats on how high the percentage is, of instances of future heart problems if you DON'T take the prescribed statins.  Before and after.  With and without.  The law says, "How were you damaged?"  Medical science should be saying, "How will you be helped, and how will you be damaged?  Here are the statistics for if you do take the meds - in this case the statins - and here are the stats for if you don't."  (If the stats for recurrence of heart problems are low and the risk of damage high...)  I have seen them be concerned, like in the case of my Hodgkins Disease, about an increase from 2.5% to 3.2% of future heart problems due to the radiation treatments later in life.  That was behind a special study I was asked to participate in at Stanford - where I was treated for the Hodgkins Disease - several years after having been treated.  It involved a stress test - an EKG taken while on an ever-escalating-speed treadmill.  Of which several have been prescribed in my case recently - one before the operation (which was halted early on by my cardiologist because of my reactions), and several since the operation, which fortunately I passed with flying colors. 

All of us deserve those stats, on this issue.  I am hoping a reader here will have them and share them with us.

• Posted

Well mrbob84 - at least the cardiologist I sound like is highly respected!  I've read and pondered your reply and all the other responses. Yes - this is a forum to share options.  We all deserve the stats and more info from the medical profession re side effects etc.  I am happy to disagree with some of my own comments and Jude - I will read the old posts if I can find them.

I am though still left confused.  You mrbob was clearly told that cholesterol did not cause your heart problems. My doc told me I could stop taking statins if I wanted another heart attack. 

Anyway I genuinely value all the information that has been provided and will think on.  Wish you all well.  Good night.

Alex

• Posted

I would get a second opinion if I were you.  Statins are big business, and with what  I have seen here, they seem to not be the only way to guard against your getting another heart attack.

Isn't it just men who get heart attacks?  I rarely hear of a woman having them.  Or am I just behind the curve...

• Posted

You are way way way "behind the curve"!   Of course women get heart attacks, less often before menopause but equal levels after that.  The Australian Heart Foundation is runnng a campaign right now to expose that particular myth.   

The symptoms are often different though, women are less likely to have the crushing chest pain and more likely to have upper arm, neck and jaw pain, which often means it's not diagnosed as quickly.

And by the way, more women die of heart attacks than breast cancer which you wouldn't know from all the publicity, would you?   

I don't think even the promotors of statins say that they're the "only way" to guard against another heart attack:  diet and exercise, dealing with stress, healthy blood pressure levels,  not smoking and being a healthy weight (I wish I could achieve that last one) are very important.

I'm not having a go at you but I think it would be a good idea for you to do some self-education about heart attacks:  I'm assuming if you're on this site you have some interest in the subject, either for yourself or someone close to you?

• Posted

My dad's family had familial heart disease.  Two of his sisters died from heart attacks.  A very good friend had complete heart failure (ie heart stopped and until she was revived she was momentarily dead although not brain dead).  My COPD clinic nurse and I were discussing just this subject one time, she commented that from her experience at the practice, those women presenting with heart 'attack' (a rather general term) were more likely to have familial (ie hereditary) issues whereas men were a mixture of familial and lifestyle causes (stress, fatty organs, heart damage from exertion etc).  The female physiology copes better with stress levels as we are genetically designed with more internal energy to prepare for possible childbirth but that alone cannot rule out cardiac problems due to inherent disease etc.  Women apparently have a higher incidence of stroke than men however.
    • Posted

I've never heard of "internal energy" as a medical term, where did that come from?     

• Posted

Jude -

Actually I am here because of statins, which were insinuated into my life unbidden (and now unwelcome) by the heart condition that came to life nearly 3 years ago and is related to the Hodgkins Disease of 1980 but unrelated to cholesterol.  

At this point both diseases seem to have pretty much erupted on their own, with no known explanation why.  My only heart blockage - the aortic valve that was replaced - was from stenosis, not cholesterol, and the 3 spindly vessels that needed to be replaced with bypasses have been attibuted by my medical team to the radiation therapy I had to have in 1980 to get rid of the Hodgkins.  Nobody knows how people get Hodgkins Disease (unless new facts have come to light since I last needed to know about that), so cause at this point is conjecture on all fronts.  

So I am not going to spend time on researching heart disease, but am keeping my eyes - and ears - open in all directions.  Good observation!

• Posted

it wasnt a medical term it was an informal discussion about her experience of those presenting with certain conditions, her use of 'internal energy' was to explain how the physiology of women is different as they are designed genetically to cope with the exertions of childbirth and thus have different physicality.  i'm not a doctor and neither is she so we werent discussing in great technical depth, it was just her relating what she sees come through the practice.
    • Posted

Thank you very usefull information. definately thought provoking. Its great to hear everyones point of view/ facts. To weigh up several odds?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.