Atorvastatin

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI, Was put on 80mg atorvastatin following a heart attack last October. Have had constant pain and muscle stiffness in both shoulders and cannot fully extend both arms. The cardiac nurse suggested I come off them for 2 weeks last xmas to see and ALL the pain went! After seeing the doctor he advised me to continue with Atorvastatin "and see". After one week I was in agony again. I reduced the dose to 40mg a month ago and it made no difference. Other side effects I  have are twitchy eyelids, on and off loose stools and tiredness. I saw a different GP today as I cannot carry on like this. He has told me to stop Atorvastatin and has arranged for me to have an extensive blood test next Wednesday. He did say that there are risks with Atorvastatin re muscle and joint problems, liver etc. SO I will see what the tests say and how I am off the Atorvastatin.

2 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank heaven for the second GP.  Do NOT take statins again until and unless your doctors can assure you its a different/new formulation that is guaranteed not to have these adverse effects, although to be honest that's probably only wishful thinking.  All statins cause muscle and liver damage, fact.  They also cause other distressing side effects in some people, as you've discovered.  The risk of permanent damage is high in those affected.  High cholesterol alone is not a risk factor for heart episodes.  Statins may help in those like you who have had a previous cardiac event but that help must be balanced against the very serious risks they present.  I'm sure you're on other heart medications - stick with those and dump the statins, they are not worth it.
    • Posted

I point out that NON STATIN cholesterol lowering drugs had exactly the same effect on me, which was severe, so I think it's the lowering of cholesterol below a certain level which may be the issue
    • Posted

I believe you're absolutely right Jude.  I read a medical article which said that the main benefits of statins in those with previous cardiac events was NOT actually the lowering of cholesterol but other subsidiary effects.  I also read whilst researching that cholesterol is totally essential for the well being of the body and that abnormally elevated levels alone are not the issue, it's that this indicates other vascular problems.  We are being intentionally misinformed re the 'cholestrol myth' because its a huge money spinner for the pharmaceutical industry, when in reality only very few people have the cumulative effect of multiple heart and circulatory issues that need them to take steps to lower cholesterol by the intervention of dangerous drugs.  The rest of us would be safer, AND healthier if we left our cholesterol alone.
    • Posted

I wasn't aware that there were any positive effects claimed for statins other than their cholesterol lowering effect:  what are the others? Did the article say?
    • Posted

I couldnt find the original article but I seem to recall it was their ability to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis that was most important. If I recall correctly it is possible to have a heart attack without high blood cholesterol levels, but nearly all heart attacks begin with atherosclerosis plaque buildup. Plaques from atherosclerosis can still form even when blood cholesterol is low. 
    • Posted

Yeah, that'd be by reducing "bad" cholesterol, I thought you mean other benefits than that
    • Posted

Thanks looks like many people have your thinking.
  • Posted

I've been off Alvorstatin for about 14 days now and muscle aches have practically gone, plus I'm sure my alertness has improved as well. I saw the doctor last week and told him I didn't want to take them any more. He is doing some blood tests CK and Liver function but I don't really care how they come back. I'm finished with them. I know it's the right decision.
    • Posted

Super news Peter.. and I'm glad that you're feeling better already that's the bit that matters most ....to hell with test results ....you know your body best..... So if certain tablets don't suit you then don't take them!!

How I wish I had listened to my own advice a couple of years ago I might not know be reduced to living in a wheelchaircry

Please keep us posted now - and I am sure you have made the right decision.

• Posted

Good decison!  Both my then GP and my cardiologist told me I was risking another heart attack by going off the statins, but they affected me so badly I decided to take the risk ...... so far so good and the last time I had my cholesterol checked it was down slightly

This may be due to the Psyllium Husks I started using on the suggestion of one of the rehab physios:  it's a powder and I have 3 tsp most mornings in my porridge.  If you're going to use it be VERY careful not to take it dry, as it expands on contact with liquid and if it does this in your throat or on the way to your gut it can be very dangerous.    I reckon it's worth a try and it's not even very expensive - i get about 2 months' supply for around $12 (I think) at Chemist Warehouse.

• Posted

Thanks . all my bloods came back ok. Just the joint problems that will take up to 3 years to rectify (hopefully).
  • Posted

Chris....I took different statins for a number of years not knowing the effect they would have......and they all had the same side effects....I wasn't able to walk upstairs....the weakness and pain in my legs was terrible....but according to my gp...there was nothing wrong...so I stopped the statins...much to his dismay...that was 4 years ago....a lot of the pain has gone away....but my joints hurt a lot....oh and another thing...I was also diagnozed as type 2 diabetic while taking statins....since I stopped my blood sugar readings are good....and statins do raise blood sugar....I 'm not on medication for diabetes....
    • Posted

I've only recently heard about the statins affecting blood sugar levels:  what next, I wonder?     So far we have:

Muscle weakness

Muscle and nerve pain (sometimes permanent)

Extreme fatigue

Severe Depression

Memory Loss

Libido problems

Diabetes

I repeat, what next?

• Posted

It's very worrying...as you say ..what next....I'm sure there will be more side effects added to the list in time..
    • Posted

Try the website of my chum Duane Graveline and you will find PLENTY MORE!! 

He is the NASA Space physician and astronaut and US practitioner of 27 years.... who has experienced just about the lot when it comes to Statin side-effects..... I can recommend him highly.

• Posted

I read the website you suggested alzheimer and increased my dose of cq10 per what he recommended and I feel a definite improvement. Thanks
    • Posted

Thanks, hope you get your joints up and running again (as with mine).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.