Atorvastatin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, my GP prescribed me some Atorvastatin about 7 weeks ago. Since then I've had non-stop aches and pains, mainly from waist downwards, in thighs, groin, calf muscles, even my feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Iris the first statins I took were atorvistatin....at first I was fine...then my muscles ached and were weak so much so that I couldn't hold a newspaper...my gp told me to stop them for 2 weeks....the symptoms went away....he said not to take anymore that it was the statins causing the pain and weakness.....after another blood test another dr.told me to take a diferent statin because my cholesterol was high ..I told him that the first gp stopped them and why...but he said I should try a low dose...which I did...I eventually stopped them on my own and will never take another..they were causing too side effects.....even after stopping them over 5 years ago...some of the symptoms persist....

• Posted

I agree with Scott....watch out for memory loss...my husband was also on statins...and his memory is bad...even after coming off the a few years ago
  • Posted

Yes Iris I have had all those symtoms plus more...I would tell your doctor of your symtoms as there seems to be so many people with terrible effects from them...I have stopped mine..I am seeing a new doctor on Monday..good luck and good health to you.kind regards Carol
    • Posted

Hi Carol.....thanks for that info......and here's me thinking I just need more exercise! Before I got up this morning my TOES were aching and got cramp in one of my calf muscles. My bladder is suffering too. Good luck Carol x

PS......got dry cough too

• Posted

I have a cronic bladder disease and the statins made my bladder symptoms far worse. The doctors wont admit there is an issue with statins but as you can see there are many of us having the same issues and sadly they do not always go away when you stop the statins. Good luck I hope you feel better very soon
    • Posted

Thanks Julia.....I've only had the statin for 7 weeks....at first I just thought I was stiffening up with age and needed more exercise. Tbh I think I'd rather die of heart attack or stroke than the discomfort I'm suffering. I already take warfarin to thin my blood!

• Posted

Ive spoken to health professionals...and they tell me...oh yes that will go away when you stop the statins....some of the side effects do lessen over time...but speaking personaly I don't think you ever get back to how you were before statins....I had planter faciatis after stopping them...then I found out the statins can cause it ....and that is a terrible pain...makes you cry....

• Posted

that's what happens Iris....as it's usually older people who take statins...then you think it might just be age that's causing the aches and pains

• Posted

Hi Iris I was on them for almost 18 months everything was fine at first then the pain hit and it hit hard, I am so concerned I am never going to get riid of these pains in my head, so bad I just end up on the bed and take my migraine tablets as it is the only thing to ease them and no they are deffinately not migraines these are totally different. Horrendose cramps in my neck followed by what feels like some one pulling my hair out.
    • Posted

Ouch......I do hope that goes away soon for you
    • Posted

My neighbours daughter is a medical researcher for NHS, a no she has DEMANDED that her parents never take statins.....makes you think!
    • Posted

Iris this forum has been a God Send for me, I thought I was going mad or had a brain tumor or worse, but having read all these responces, I know it is the statine. Cant remember who it was but one comment was that 6 use to be the norm but then it was dropped to 5 so the doctors could prescribe more statins. Mind was 5.6 but having has an optic nerve stroke I was told I should take them to prevent another stroke - but they admitted they dont know what caused the optic nerve stroke and also admitted sometimes it is just bad luck, but I was still told I 'needed" statins. Wish I had never heard of the word statins. How ever interesting about your daughter and good on her for giving such good advise.

• Posted

my husband was having surgery a couple of months ago..and the dr. asked him if he was on any medication...he told him that he used to take statins but stopped them because of terrible side effects...the dr.told him that he would never let a dr. prescribe statins for him...
    • Posted

how interesting ! If they were to tell people the risks that is one thing but just to prescribe them and not warn people of what could happen is very wrong.
    • Posted

Hi Julia,

I had same type of headaches and neck issues. It took me 7 weeks once I quit to notice an improvement w headaches and it's now been 9 weeks and it's getting better. Some say it took up to 6 months once they quit statin..

Scott

• Posted

Thanks Scott I been off them a few months now and they are very slowly getting less in number but not in intensity. I am sorry you have these pains but I am glad also (sorry) because it tells me it is the statins and there is hope it will go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.