Atorvastatin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, my GP prescribed me some Atorvastatin about 7 weeks ago. Since then I've had non-stop aches and pains, mainly from waist downwards, in thighs, groin, calf muscles, even my feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Iris - sorry to read of your situation and I can totally relate. I was placed on Artorvastatin @ 80mg - a totally unnecessary dosage. There was no pep talk about side-effects and no instruction of using CoEnzyme Q10 in conjunction with the poison - er - statin. Multiple snowballing side effects the doctor claimed had nothing to do with the drug. Mind wandering (I had to change passwords 3 times in as many months) I was climbing into the shower, clutching the walls I felt so frail, when it dawned on me that I had never had any of the nine side effects in the 50 years before the statins and here I was feeling near death. Started researching and was horrified!! Threw both the doc and the drugs away. One year later and I am almost back to my old self again. Never again. 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for that info Wayne and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had. Early in 2015 I had bereavements and health issues which meant I was quite inactive for about 15 months. I started to feel better/active again at end of July....exactly the same time as I started taking statins. I thought the pain was reaction to lazy muscles, but 7 weeks on I started wondering!!!! Anyway I took the last Atorva on Thursday, missed 3, and much of the pain has gone!. A friend has recommended Benecol products which contain plant sterols instead of chemicals! Iris

• Posted

Hi Iris,  I have been on Lipitor 20 mgs. since 2009 (7 years and at age 48). I began having terrible calf pain only on one leg about 3 to 6 months of starting the med and only at night when ready to sleep.  It drove me nuts but it was not every night but a few times weekly.  Fast forward to today I am 55 years old and in constant nightly pain in both calfs, my knees and my feet and everynight.  I am a pet sitter/dog walker and I also have my own dog I walk at least a few miles daily and so I get lots of exerise and stretch but still at night my legs, feet and knees feel like ran a marathon.  My colesterol was super high at age 47 and the doctor scared me about it. I am really scared to go off of it now. I do think I exercise more now than I did at age 47 so that migh help but still I am nervious to stop my statins.  I am tired all day because I can't get to sleep until 3 am or later sometimes.  What else is there?  From what I can tell everything for colestorol causes muscle pain.  You are not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.