Atorvastatin and cold sores

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband has been taking  Atorvastatin 40mg for approx.6 weeks. A couple of weeks ago he developed a cold sore on his lip, then one on his lower eyelid and also one just inside his nostril. He is 63 years old and has never had a cold sore in his life. Has any one else experienced this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol,

Go on yellow card scheme check what Atorvastatin dose   , see what other people have reported , Muscle aches the worst, but skin is also bad bullous is one, good luck  .Yellow Card Scheme is run by NHS or for NHS.

• Posted

I got cracked lips and a nasty sore in the corner of my lips, also a lump on the back of my hand that wouldn't heal despite the cream my doctor gave me.  It does seem to be going now that I have stopped the statins.

• Posted

Hi Carol - I was on Atorvastatin @ 80mgs for two deteriorating years. Multiple side effects. One was the appearance of excema on my face, chest and back. Never had any problem like that in my life, always good skin, always looked after it. It has been 3 years since I threw both the doc and the meds away. It has taken that long to overcome the damage statins did to me - poisoned from the inside out. Diet and exercise are the best way to manage cholesterol. Best of luck whatever you decide.
  • Posted

Hi, there s no side effects with atoravastatin. i have been taking it. the cold sores developed out of something else and not statins.  Maybe ask your doc to reduce the dose. read my post below :

hello, i have been reading a lot regarding statins and its side effects.  I have been taking off and on for the past four years in fear. My sister was also diagnosed with familial high cholesterol and was taking statins for a short time then stopped for the past three years or so.

she has now been diagnosed with heart blockage and her cholesterol was sky high 9. she needs to do angiogram and stent if required.  it started with her sweating, chest pain and all.

so I request those with high cholesterol please do not be put off by the wrong info on the net. there are no side effect.

A friend of mine has been taking for 10 years and more and he is running around..he is in his late 40s. and I asked him if he gets any side effects and he said nothing. he feels fine.

please avoid heart blockages and other related diseases because of cholesterol

thanks Jenna

• Posted

Jenna - like I said, read the posts on this site. I was on Artorvastatin for two miserable years, poisoned from the inside out. Thank you for dismissing that suffering.
    • Posted

sorry Wayne. disrespect on your suffering was unintentional at all. My apologies if you felt like that.  I think the dose was too high for you. 10 mg. is harmless and reduces cholesterol.  Familial cholesterol does not reduce by diet or exercise except statins and the benefits outweighs the disadvantages. please check if yours is familial or diet related. in that case you can decide for yourself what is best for you.  God bless
    • Posted

Hi jenna, is familial , the same as Glycogen storage disease , due to the gene debrancer gene , missing, only my son-in- law as been diagnosed with GSD , and he cannot dissolve hes cholesterol , have you or family members ever been tested for Glycogen storage disease , it very prevalent in Israel amongst  the jewish people .but it could be with anyone .it also runs in families.     
  • Posted

Thank you for all your comments which I found very interesting. I was verysurprised to read the one which states there are no side-effects from statistics. There are definitely side effects, in some cases mild, others serious but if you don’t suffer any than that’s all well and good but you can’t generalise and say there aren’t any.

My husbands cold sores are clearing nicely so we don’t know if they had anything to do with statins, he is going to discuss this with his GP on his next appointment. His cholesterol before starting on them was 4.6 but we don’t know what the good and bad cholesterol figures were.

• Posted

Sorry statistics should read statins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.