ATORVASTATIN and severe muscle pain

Posted , 40 users are following.

Hello.  I was taking Lipitor (atorvastatin) for 3 months before I started to get SEVERE muscle pain in my right arm to the point where suddenly, I could not left my arm or hold a cup without having severe pain.  I stopped taking the statin.  I've been off it now for 8 days.  The severe pain seems to come and go (the pain itself has never really disappeared, it just seems to start off small in one area, mostly my shoulders, then get worse before it calms down again....only to reappear in the other arm!)  I've read that COg10 helps, so I have just started taking 400mg over the last three days.  I thought I turned the corner yesterday, only to wake up in the middle of the night with the severe shoulder/arm pain again.  Any thoughts from othere who experienced this, and how long it took for you to recover after stopping the statin?  I am 60 and was very active before this taking this -- now, i can't even pick up a golf club without pain.  I am trying to stay positive with hopes that eventually, the pain will go away and my muscles will start to repair themselves -- but, I'm a little scared after reading some things on the internet, of course.

3 likes, 150 replies

150 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mark THANKS I think I'll try the supplemets.

I am 42 and started recently to take 10 milligrams of Arorvastatin (genetic for Lipitor) and in 4 days I had such severe pain between my shoulders at the base of my neck I couldn't lift my arms to reach for things or drink a glass of water. I didn't realize this was a side effect of the medication until someone told me so I took it for about a week and I called my doctor and he had me stop the medicine. It has been a week and a half since I stopped taking the medicine and the pain is still the same . The weirdest thing of all however is the Dr. told me when the pain stops to start taking it again!!!! To me this sounds absurd?? I'm convinced the medicine is causing the pain and apparently he's not or why else would he asked me to take it again???? °Are there any cholesterol medications that don't have statins in them?

• Posted

Hi Abradley!  I know that there are some alternatives out there...however, I have yet to try them, or know any of their names.  Before you do that, I would suggest to research whatever the alternative is, HEAVILY.  I did some preliminary research, and some of these alternatives produce the same side effects, simply because the chemical engineering behind them is the same -- to lower cholesterol by tinkering with your natural body chemistry; which in turn, for some of us, can be too much "tinkering" to the point where some serious side effects start to appear.  There is a ton of research out there by doctors that explain in detail what happens to your body when you take statins -- problem is, the statin drug industry is BIG business ($$$) and the positive hype behind statins is suppressing any negative feedback.  Based on the pain I went through, I will never take any statin again, or any supplement that reports similar side effects simply because something about "me" does not "like" those drugs.  Not to say that some people have no choice...diet, is the best, of course -- if you can do it that way.

• Posted

Today marks one month off of Lipitor after being on it for 3 months.   Progress report:  I'll give myself an 85% recovery status -- wake up in the morning with pain in my fingers that eventually goes away by the afternoon.  If I take a couple of advil, I could say that would put me at 99%.   Being that the Advil helps relieve the pain, it makes me think that there is inflamation that builds up over night -- possibly from not being active at night.  No sign of swelling however, just pain that feelings like there should be swelling.  This could also be related to nerve pain due to damage caused by the statin which, according to my research, does do some harm to the nervous system.   In the next month, I plan to cut back on my vitamin cocktail supplement by reducing the dosage by half and see if any of that severe pain returns or not -- hoping that my body has healed to the point where I do not need the heavy dosage I was on for a month, and that my body can start to naturally heal.  Still not "normal" -- but good progress.  Research has indicated that recovery after statins may take 6 to 12 months before all side effects are gone.

• Posted

Hi Mark - thanks for updating us. Sounds like you will make a full recovery which is great news. I was on the poison for two years and 20 mnths after throwing them away I still have the occasional twinge in my joints - sometimes making it hard to sleep. Also experienced a thumb that felt bruised but showed no signs, nor swelling, but was all ouchy-ouchy when I used it or pressed the joint. I wondered if you have altered your diet and also if you have heard of the new cholesterol-lowering oral spray being tested by Zenith in New Zealand? 
    • Posted

Good for you,it took me longer,2 to 3 years for full remission. Glad u are doing good. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

I was on Atorvastatin 20mg for 6 months and had every severy side effect you could imagine. Headaches, confusion, muscle pain mostly in neck/shoulders, vertigo, memory loss and trouble holding on to things just to name a few. I kept going to drs as these issues started for me about 2 months after I started taking them. So for months they kept telling me it can't be the statins. I quit on my own after 6 months of taking them. It took about 6 months before I started feeling better, been 8 months now and still have some issues but it is getting better. I'm hoping by the 1 yr mark all issues will be gone. It takes time and hopefully all your symptoms will eventually go away. I will not go on another statin drug ever..

Scott

• Posted

Hi Scott -  I had the same problems you listed and more. The doctors all denied, denied, denied. They tried to blame me for all the gathering problems that were caused by their prescriptions. One day when climbing into the shower, hanging onto the walls like a 90 year old scared of falling, and through the fog of dislocation the drugs had caused, a sudden moment of clarity struck me - how on earth had I come to this? Answer - statins. I started to reasearch and was horrified at what I found. Shock giving way to anger and anger to action.  It's 20 months since quitting and i still experience shadows of issues, which goes to show how deep the damage is that statins cause. Since then I have a healthy suspicion of doctors. I question everything and research any advise they give. I have also recently read that up to 30% of statins users have notable side effects, and that statins are a 12 billion dollar per annum bonanza for the pharma cartels.  Good on you Scott for taking your health back. Hang in there, you will come through the other side. Je suis non-statin.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!  I wanted to add that for anyone who wants to try the Vitamin cocktail I am taking, to be sure that you use CoQ10 that clearly states on its label UBIQUINOL...  Ubiquinol is absorbed more readily into your system than other Coq10 varieties.  I know, I started with a version of CoQ10 that was not Ubiquinol -- while I saw some progress -- it was nowhere near as immediate as when I started taking Ubiquinol CoQ10 -- apparently, the absorbtion rate really matters as the difference (for me) was dramatic!
  • Posted

Hello Everyone,

I heard this>>>  now the statin drug companies want to have all Americam kids to start taking statins. Apparently something like that was in the news a few weeks ago.

Maybe someone can confirm that.

Hard to imagine what this will do to many kids. It's just sinful bif it's true.

Bill

• Posted

Thing is about statins is that they are supposed to adjust the LDL and HDL values. I have some problems with statins but now have not restarted them. The Amlodopine I was given to reduce the risk of heart problems also gave me muscle problems so stopped them. Does anyone here use a chol. kit to keep a check on the relative movement of their cholesterol levels? It would be nice to have some feedback about how a good diet can do the job alone. Thanks.
    • Posted

I have done much research on the cholesterol issue. For me it is all a giant hoax promugated by big pharm and Doctors.

I no longer care what my numbers are.

I carefully choose the foods that I eat and mostly eat organic, fruits, veges, nuts and very little animal protein. I also stay away from sugar, carbohydrates, refined and processed foods.

There is much research out there by institutions and research facilities that show that statins do not reduce the risk of heart attacks arterial scelorosis. It is a huge scam. Worst part of it coming up before us is that now big pharm wants our children to go on statins!

• Posted

well said Bill.  I read an article by a very eminent physician who stated that his own clinical research has shown that, as an example, if a female with a history of heart disease took statins for say a 30yr period, the most that they could expect their life expectancy to be increased by would be 9 months!  Statins have been proven to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes - itself a common factor in causing heart attack - liver dysfunction and latterly possibly increasing the risk of dementia - what price for a max of an extra 9 months - and if any extra at all, those months spent in poor health or without full cognitive function.  You're correct - it's a huge money spinning scam and shame on the medical profession for buying into such.

• Posted

Agree,from what I've read sugar is much worse its the inflamation,not the Cholesterol,although,i still eat some sugar,heck I could be hit by a truck tomorrow.

• Posted

Looks like you have a fan club here Bill - everything you wrote is sensible and true. I am astounded that the pharma cartels are now going after children with this. All the kids need is proper dietry education and to understand they are a biological unit requiring biological energy not over-the-counter fast foods processed by conglomerates. While fast businesses want us endless eating their product, pharmas business model is to get every person on earth from birth to grave to be reliant on at least one of their products. Statins have proved a huge money spinner since it causes other serious illnesses- and they know it. Absolutely criminal. I've done what you've done - threw away the pills and the numbers and regulate my diet. I have never been as sick in my life as when I was taking statins.

• Posted

I am new to this group but glad to see I am not the only person that's having these problems. My left upper back is killing me! I have been on atorvastatin for about 3 yrs. it first started with my calfs, then moved to my forearms, then back. I take other medications for blood pressure, thyroid, acid reflux and anxiety. I honestly think that I don't need half of it . Between everything I have read about statins and PPI's, I think their side effects are making things worse!

• Posted

Dear Sharon

I agree with you about half meds. I take could be reduced.I have terrible lower back muscle pain one week I'm OK following week im miserable .I stop taking Tylenol for pain it's bad for the liver. I take Coumadin / Pravastatin amlodipine losartan combination of Pravastatin and lodipine have the same side effects muscle spasm I have another doctor appointment to let them know what's going on at this time I'm going to insist I want to be taking off this minute and it gets harder and harder

• Posted

In the last 4weeks I have been to the Gastro, been diagnosed w Colon cancer from my very first ever colonoscopy, had it removed two days later and I am three weeks post op waiting for results from pet scan. My head didn't even have time to spin , it happened so fast. Thing is, while I was in the hospital they took my meds away 2 days prior to surgery and I didn't have the back ache the whole time. Or this crazy hoarseness I developed after changing b/P meds 3 months ago. As soon as they gave me my b/P medications and cholesterol , they came back???? Go figure. So.... Me and the good dr are fixing to have a heavy discussion here REAL SOON

• Posted

Dear Sharon

. My goodness I'm so sorry to hear that and I'm glad they got everything I'll keep you in my prayers I sure would love to get off this amlodipine and Pravastatin anyway you take care take it easy

• Posted

Than you so much !! You take care too ! God bless ! And I'll be praying for you too !🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

I am also no longer concerned about cholesterol numbers; they do not predict CVD. I will end my statin regimen today; the pain and swelling in my shoulders and hands are too much. Animal protein remains the most concentrated form of nutrients and fruit remains a concentrated form of carbohydrates, i.e. sugar. I would attend to that fact. Get a proper lipid test: Apol B (LDL-P) - you might have to pay for it - to get the best predictor of CVD - lower the better. After all of these years and all of the science, Dr. Atkins has been shown to have been on the right path - he was driven by evidence and not pleasant bucolic thoughts. Statins are a hoax. This knowledge has been available since the beginning of the Framingham study decades ago. Heal yourself. I am not looking forward to seeing my cardiologist next week if he is like all the other doctors I have been reading about. Good Luck, everyone.
    • Posted

I have a new pcp and have been taken off b/P meds, cholesterol, and have lowered my thyroid meds and hormones. I feel 10 times better. Of course I try to exercise (walking) and eat low carb and low fat.  Man is it hard but I'm not doing too bad. I have an appointment with the heart dr Wednesday as well and I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the changes.. I DO NOT want to go back on statins

• Posted

Good on you cramcg. Yes they are a hoax and I bvelieve the docs are aware of that.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon - good on you! The negative effects of statins may take some time to disperse depending on how long you have been taking them and at what dosage. Changing exercise/diet is a gradual project, replacing less beneficial behaviours with better ones. Stick to it you'll get there. Personally, I refuse statins after the hell they put me through while the doc denied, denied, denied, and instead asserted all the illnesses was somehow all my fault. 2 years free of statins and I still have the tailends of some of those illnesses, nut they are much diminished and I expect in the next year or so I will be all better. Good luck to you.

• Posted

'but,' not 'nut.' No. I am not a nut.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.