ATORVASTATIN CAUSING TYPE 2 DIABETES?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, In November 2011 I had a heart attack despite never having had raised cholesterol.  I now take a myriad of drugs that the hospital gave me one of which is ATORVASTATIN.  I am now told that I am border line type 2 diabetic and that I should alter my lifestyle!  I am normally a very fit, slim, recently retired 62 year old lady.  I do not take sugar in beverages (use a leaf extract sweetener) I hardly ever eat biscuits or sweets as I prefer savoury flavours and I am busy most of the time (a little less now that I've been diagnosed with Neuropathic pain (ouch).  People are astounded when I tell them that my blood tests are showing borderline diabetes and I am wondering how many other people have been given this borderline diagnosis since taking ATORVASTATIN.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

2 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI THERE JOYCE ....I AM SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR DIFFICULTIES AND STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT YOUR STATINS ARE CAUSING YOUR DIABETIC STATE AND WOULD  SUGGEST YOU STOP THE STATINS IMMEDIATELY,

It is well known that statins can cause the diabetic state and I am not surprised that people are astounded at your blood tests.

Why not come off ALL statins for a few weeks then get a repeat blood test done and see if there is an improvement... I believe you will find that there will be -  particularly if you take Co Enzyme Q 10 which can help reverse the problems that so many others encounter with taking any form of STATIN drugs.

• Posted

Hi Joyce Sorry to hear that your test show that you are bordering diabetice type 2  when you're so conscious of your sugar and fitness levels. Not sure if Atorvastatin caused this though!  Regarding your Neuropathic Pain, I am sure I read in an article in the Daily Express that some people suffered from this as a result of taking Atorvastatin - suggest you Google "Daily Express - Statin" to read the article yourself. I was on Atorvastatin after leaving hospital when I had a minor heart attack. After a few months I got severe pains in my legs, arm and neck muscles. I stopped it but still have pains but nowhere near as severe. I am very concerned about Statins in general and have decided not to take them in future. Let us know how you get on!
  • Posted

Hi Joyce. So sorry to hear of your health scare.  I totally agree with Alzheimer on this one, stop taking the statins immediately.  The neuropathic pain is most certainly as a result of the statins.  I have no experience of their affect on blood sugar levels but I'll defer to alzheimer also on this one and wouldn't be at all surprised if they're causing it.  As you've never had raised cholesterol, it wouldn't seem that your heart attack was due to artherosclerosis and thus I can see no benefit whatsever and more than a few negatives to taking atorvastatin.  

I would however mention that hyperglycaemia can be triggered by ill health or stress, which you have encountered.  Regarding diet choices, it sounds like you have a relatively healthy diet without excess sugar etc.  However carbohydrates are the main culprit in raised blood sugar - we're told its healthy to eat grains and cereals and fruit etc., but all of these are carbs and it's important to balance carb intake with protein and healthy fats.  Wheat unfortunately is a bit of a hidden menace.  Not enough and we miss out on essential nutrients, too much and we have issues like weight gain and diabetes.  

Regardless of your heart or sugar problems, ditch the statins, they definitely do more harm than good.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your comprehensive replies.  I am going to get the CoEnzyme Q10 tomorrow and have a go at stopping the statins.  If there is anyone else who has been diagnosed with borderline diabetes after taking statins I would like to hear from you too.  I am going to look for the article in The Express right now and thanks again.
    • Posted

hi Joyce...I took statins for a number of years...atoravastatin was one of them...I was told 10 years ago that I was type 2 diabetic....without any symptoms....I cut out sugar .....was not on any medication...just diet and exercise......then I found out that statins cause a rise in blood sugar.....I stopped the statins 4 years ago...because of severe muscle weakness and pain....since then my blood sugar has been normal....I will never take another statin....
  • Posted

Thank you Lisa that is very encouraging and I hope your health continues to improve xx
    • Posted

Hi Joyce...I had high cholesterol....7.8....statins got it down to under 5....but at a price I am not willing to pay......when my a1c blood glucose tests come back at 5.3....my gp can't understand why it's so good...he told me it was better than some non diabetics....when I sugested that I might not be diabetic...that I might have been a mistake.......oh no...he's not willing to think that....
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Just had a thought - why were you prescribed statins in the first place?

• Posted

Thanks Lisa,  It does make me think that maybe the GPs are on some kind of commission for prescribing these drugs !
    • Posted

That's not far from the truth Joyce - the government body responsible for guidance and policing quality standards in general practice - NICE - are the ones who are in the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies and it is they who dictate to GP's what should be prescribed for what condition etc.  Statins, like other drugs, go 'off patent' after a ten year period, at which point the price drops dramatically and along with it, the drug company profits fall also.  They thus have to look for increased volume of sales to compensate and no doubt there's big money involved in getting NICE to push doctors to prescribing them at every opportunity - not always at the best interest of the patient but certainly in the best interests of those with a monetary interest. 
    • Posted

In the light of my previous comments I decided to search online to see if I could find out the true extent of the money involved.  There was an headline article in the Mail online today on just this subject.  The headline states 'Statin prescriptions treble in ten years to hit almost 60million: NHS spends £100m handing out pills to seven million Britons

NHS spends £100million a year handing out statins to seven million people

Number set to rise as GPs urged to prescribe pills to many more patients

Experts say 10p a day drugs will be given to an extra five million patients

But critics say they can cause type 2 diabetes and debilitating muscle pain'

Its worth a read.

• Posted

Just Google Dr Duane Graveline and he as you will soon find out was the Nassa physicist who suffered like ourselves and has a website that will come up and you'll find out all about the side-effects of ALL statins let me tell you ... Happy hunting!

• Posted

It's not just Statins, it's Beta-blockers as well. I've just been told I'm Type 2 rolleyes I've got symptoms, Diabetic Dermopathy etc rolleyes neutral Oh well cheesygrin
    • Posted

Benny ...what is diabetic dermopathy....
    • Posted

Hi Lisa - its commonly known as 'shin spots'  - this is a skin condition which develops as a result of changes to the blood vessels that supply the skin. it usually appears as a shiny round or oval lesion of thin skin over the front lower parts of the lower legs. The patches dont generally hurt, although rarely they can be itchy or cause burning. No treatment is considered necessary other than to manage the diabetes obviously.
    • Posted

Basically it's inexplicably scabby shins, like you've been walking into the furniture smile They itch then sting / burn, then scab over rolleyes

I've attached a photo of a moderate case (not me, from the Internet), once you see it there's realisation like "oh that's what it is" cheesygrin

• Posted

thanks Benny...I hadn't heard of it ...it looks very sore...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.