Atrial fibrillation 149 bpm followed by low BP and 42bpm

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,I have had af for 16 years now I take cardicor flecainide apaxiban and pravastatin.I had an ablation 9 months ago,all was good until about three weeks ago and my af started up again. This time with a difference as even when the af has gone I still have a pulse of 150 to 110 approx .then my pulse will drop to 42 with very low blood pressure, I have a lot of chest pain,I went a&e but they said that I had not had heart attack and sent me home.can I ask does anyone have a mixture very high then very low pulse and pressure rates while I af .it would be great to hear from anyone on this subject.many thanks. Betteann

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had three ablations for AF, BetteAnn. The final one worked. After each ablation the type of arrythmia I experienced changed. For the first one all four arteries were "ablated" three failed. Second attempt left me with with various other arrythmias but nothing like the orginal lurching, banging and fast beats. It also left me with sepsis. Must have undone the work as I was worse off than before I started with all sorts of arrthmias, which had me hospitalised right left and centre.

So yes, a cardiac ablation can leave you with a very different set of arrythmias than the ones you started out with. 

Kinda makes sense if the treatment is aimed at the areas giving the most reponse to the electrophysiologist, there may be others lurking or in fact caused by the scarring? 

• Posted

Hiya,

you said 'all four arteries were "ablated" three failed'' what arteries are these? I was under the impression that ablations are on ther myocardium?

• Posted

My understanding as explained to me is that the rogue electrical signals that send the heart into arrythmia are around the cardiac artery entries to the heart. Not sure what the myocardium is but I'll check my understanding! 

• Posted

Oops spotted the URL and removed the post!
    • Posted

Arteries always take blood away from the heart. You probably the mean Inferior vena cava and the Superior vena cava veins, which deliver deoxygenated blood to the right atrium. These have been known to initiate AF. 
  • Posted

I've had paf for 15 years and every episode raises my pulse rate though never above 100bpm, My blood pressure falls to normal 120/75 (normally I have raised bp) which is not surprising as in paf the heart loses efficiency.

• Posted

Hi Betteann, I have had AF since 2010 after contracting  chest infection and getting pneumonia and now I take Bisoprolol, Rivaraxaban, Amiorodone, Ramipril and Simvastatin. Have had three cardioversions (some successful for several years) and in February my first ablation which lasted 5 days before AF returrned.  A few weeks later I returned to normal rhythm but I continue to have a few bouts not AF but my pulse goes up dramatically. Have had a few short AF episodes but last night I awoke at 4pm with chest pains and 115bpm but within a few minutes it disappeared and I was back to 55bpm. Having seen your comments I will check my blood pressre next time.

• Posted

What most cardiologists forget to tell you is that the scarring and arrythmia can take up to 3 months to settle down. They delightfully call it a blanking period!  So if it was Feb this year you should be settled down around now! Wish other cardiologists and GPs would develop an understanding of the blanking period! I was in and out of a fast access clinic whilst they consulted the cardiac team responsible. Uncomfortable process - waiting to see if it had worked!

BP/Heart rate rises and falls a lot during daily activity so dont get too hooked on whats happening though your BP monitor.

• Posted

Yes, I get similar effects.  My doctor told me when it feels that it has slowed down to 38 to 42 BPM, it is bigimney, when two beats come close to each other and feels as if it's one hard beat.  Thank God I don't have any pain to go with it.  I never checked my Blood pressure then.  I will next time it happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.