Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 38 users are following.

HI, I started with a really fast and irregular pulse and heartbeat last Wednesday night and took myself off to A&E. I spent the night wired up to a monitor and had a saline drip with some other medication to try to bring down the rapid heart rate. During the night I had an injection of a warfarin type medicine (claxol?) and beta blockers. The following day I was taken to the Coronary Care unit where I was given a further injection and more beta blockers, bisoprol fumarate. I met with the cardiologist whe explained that I had Atrial Fibrillation, althought my heat rate had come down the irregulare beat was still there. Further treatmenst a couple of months down the line were explained to me but now, one week after discharge I have a few questions I would like to ask fellow sufferers who have permanent atrial fibrillation. Oh, I am currently on 5mg of bisoprol fumarate and 3mg Warfarin.

1. Do people have any tips for getting off to sleep, I can't seem to settle at all with a banging heart even though my pulse is sort of normal, (with a few missing beats).

2. I have just come back from a cycling holiday and usually walk about 4 miles a day, after a very slow walk today I am exhausted, any tips on getting back to normal.

3. I saw my own GP yesterday and he said that I should get back to 'normal' cycling etc, I did ask if I could have a glass of wine or beer, he said that's fine, however I have read that this  can make the AF worse. Any thoughts?

I know that this condition affects people in different ways and have read a lot of negative things which seemed to frighten me to be honest so any positive thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers. 

3 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lankylass,

I would not be too worried that you are still experiencing AF, it's early days.

A couple of months ago I was diagnosed and the Cardiologist put me on an anticolagulant and Cordorone to get the rythum regular.

After a month the rythum was still all over the place so I was scheduled for a cardioversion.

The day before I was still in AF but by the time they had me prepared for the zap, my rythum was nice and regular so they called the cardioversion off. It took about 5 weeks for the initial meds to do their job.

I was still regular a week later so I was put on Metoprolol to keep it regular and at a much lower rate.

Unfortunately I am having side effects from the Metoprolol so I have asked to be put on something different.

One method of reducing the flutter is to cough or blow out quickly. You can sometimes get the heart to behave that way.

• Posted

Hi TassyJim, Thanks for that, I bet after 5 weeks of being in AF it was a relief to be out of it. This will be my 10th day now, as I sit here, (watching the Tour de France go about 5 miles from where I live), I can feel the 'odd' movement inside my chest, most of the time it's not so bad. I mowed the lawn this morning and it was fine. The problem is at night, getting settled to sleep, I suppose it's already there in my head that I'm going to struggle, I know that it's been fine in the day, nothing bad has happened, the heart is still beating, it's not really racing, but last night it must have taken two hours before I finally settled. I have a cousin in New Zealand who I spoke to this morning, she is 70, (very fit, goes walking every day) and 6 years older than me,she also has suffered bouts of AF but only on and off, she has medication to lower her BP. She told me to include plenty of bananas in my diet as they are high in potassium and had been found to help AF patients. I've just had one now!! Anyway, you have given me hope that the permanent nature of my  AF may go back to 'normal', I am crossing my fingers. Thanks for your help. 
    • Posted

Reading your reply just gave me hope that meds can work and bad invasive stuff can be avoided! Thanks❤️
  • Posted

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you have joined our exclusive club. I've been reading all the posts and a lot of good comments made. Please remember, we all have AF but we are all different. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to say to your loved ones that you don't feel well. I've been diagnosed now for 2 years and already had 2 ablations and awaiting my 3rd. After that my surgeon and I have agreed its the old pacemaker for me. Also remember it's still not a common illness and most people don't understand what is wrong with you. I've recently been going to cardiac Rehabilition classes where we do lots of exercises but in a managed inviroment. Be careful about how much exercise you do. I walked 10 miles the other day and suffered 2 days later. That seems to happen to me all the time. I found that although my doc was good they didn't really understand the illness. As for sleeping, I don't have any problems, in fact it is the opposite. It maybe that you are not sleeping due to you worrying about it. I have got used to feeling funny when I lay down. This is normal and it goes away after a few minutes. It's the same when you swim. Don't do it as this causes the Heat to work too much. I have joined the AF society and go to a local meeting group where they can help you with diet, questions and just speaking to like mined people. It does help. There have been comments made about different meds. Remember that everyone reacts differently to them, what is best for you maybe different for other people. It may also take time for your body to react and find the right levels/tablets. This is what I found.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi GrumpyPops, Great Name!! Thanks for your help. I went for a little walk yesterday, about a mile on the flat with my partner, I normally would  'eat that for breakfast' and then some!! Two weeks ago I had just returned from Catalonia from a cycling holiday, up to 26km every other day in 33 degrees, took a lot out of me but enjoyed it, normally do a couple of long walks a week, say up to 5 miles taking in a few hills, this year on Arran nearly made it to the top of Goatfell, thought that next year I would do it. Then yesterday during the walk, I was really breathless, it's the thought that I won't be able to walk up the hills that are all around me, ( near Rochdale, you saw them yesterday on the Tour de France vt) that makes me sad. You said that you did 10 miles, wow, is it that you were breathless or just tired for two days? I did ask my doctor about rehabilitation classes but they were only for those who had had open heart surgery so wouldn't be eligable for those. I did sleep a bit better last night, I am never a great sleeper anyway but it's just the 'clunking' about of the rhythm that stops me from being calm, I know that it's ok, but it's just the noise not only in my head but in my chest that seems to be every where. The bisoprolol 5mg seems to be ok and it's my second visit to the warfarin clinic tomorrow. I had a small beer last night but usually would have shared a bottle of something nice with my evening meal, perhaps I will try a small glass soon, like you said, it's little steps at the moment to see what works and what doesn't, everyone is different. Good luck with your pacemaker. 
    • Posted

Hi. It was my kids who said I was grumpy. I thought it was just my natural happiness. When did you go to Arran. I go every year and have done all my life that's over 50 years now. Been to the top of GF many a time. My cousin runs up it! Well he is part of the mountain rescue team. As for AF. I take each day as it comes. Today I couldn't even walk to the local shops. No energy. It makes me frustrated but have accepted that it is part of the journey we are all on. I have had to adjust my diet etc now. You shouldn't be eating red meat and watching what vegetables I eat. As for drink. I now do it in moderation. A glass of red does help now and again. I even like the strong Belgium beers especially when I'm in Bruges. You say that you cannot get re had due to the nature of your illness. Well that was what I was told but I fought it. Find out where the nearest place is, they might even do private sessions. I can also do this at  £4.50 a session. Many do it .  I hope this heps
    • Posted

Hi, I started going to Arran in 2005, my friends hired a 'captains' cottage in Kildonan, if you know it, it's right at the end of the beach, near the now closed post office that used to be run by Russell and Elspeth, (they now have the rib boats in Lamlash), I used to be a teacher and could not go at the beginning of May when everyone else went, I retired early in 2004, I was 53, so am now 63. The cottage sleeps 10, it is rough and ready, we take up to 4 dogs with us so it can be a bit of a madhouse. I have always wanted to 'do' Goatfell but the rocky bit at the top put me off. The odd thing is, last year we just went walking up, then we went a bit further, and a bit further still, we were almost within I'd say half an hour from the top, however, the summit still had snow on as it had been a very harsh winter with a late snow at the start of May so we didn't really want to get stuck, I could see the headlines in the Arran Banner, 'Ex teacher gets stuck on Goatfell, no food, no drink and phone not charged!!!". We tried again this year but it was really warm so again didn't really do it. 

I went for a walk today, along the Rochdale Canal, about 2 miles, didn't feel as bad as last night, I need to do a little every day. It's just disheartening to look at the hills around I would almost run up without thinking about it. I am just hoping that maybe this 'thing' will go away on it's own, I've had it for 12 days now and can't really feel it much in the daytime apart from when I exert myself, it's odd, sometimes you really think, 'have I really got AF?' I may have a little glass of wine later, I also like Belgian beers like you, mostly I like real ale, I read the posts which say that alcohol affects AF and that really you are not supposed to have any but what a life eh? When I asked my doctor last Wednesday he said that it would be fine to share a bottle of wine, I wonder if he has been reading the same posts as I have? Well, I really appreciate your advice and your humour, perhaps I will see you on Arran next year, we are going on the 28th April as one of our group wants to be around for the General Election the week after, as you know telephone reception on Arran is terrible and internet connection the same, however this year we went on the 17th May and got eaten my the midges, What fun. Cheers, Lanky lass

• Posted

Think I mig suffer if I walked ten miles !!! However I use the gym twice a week both cardio and weights, do ballroom a Latin dancing once a week and Pilates once a week, though on lots of meds tilldium flecanide riveroxibane and a couple of blood pressure meds I can't let the bugger get me down
  • Posted

Hello Jess101. Thanks for your comments. Yes it does get you down and can be frustrating at times but we must rise above it. Hence my nickname. You are right that we all suffer different symptoms and have different meds. You will even find that different parts of England are the same. I see you are on aspirin. Nice have now said that it would be better to be on Warfarin than aspirin and all doctors have been notified of this. I know, A surgeon showed me the letter. It's all about costs. I too suffer from dizziness. It must be the low altitude in the deepest south. It did stop me this weekend  from visiting friends up in Derby.  
    • Posted

You gave me a laugh there when I read your comments GrumpyPops..... and yes I'm sure you are right - we must just get on with it.  I wish though I had known about this blog 4 yrs ago when I had my first attack, it would have been good to know you are not alone.

I too, heard on the news recently that Warfarin should be prescribed instead of Asprin and will keep that in mind when I see my GP, thanks.

From one 'dizzy' friend to another!

• Posted

HI Jess, Went to the theatre last night, Oldham Colisseum, saw a good play, 'Close the coalhouse door', very northern, about the miners strikes, they did a few songs too. Had a half of lager in the bar so wasn't too bad. Went into Manchester today, did quite a bit of walking, didn't feel too bad at all, very warm too. Only problems are slight inclines put me out of breath very quickly and I think, 'where did that come from?'. I think at the moment the only things 'getting me down' if that is the right phrase, is the Friday nights out to the pub, I sound like a right alky don't I but I'm not, I do like to try new 'real ales' and we, (used) to seek out pubs that had new brews on, like I said, I don't smoke, never have and enjoy a very good diet, lots of pulses and fresh veg, my partner has an allotment, (so I will have to watch the geen leafy veg with the warfarin), but I feel that part of my life will now be missing. Oh, well, look on the bright side, the sun is out and I'm retired!! Cheers, 
    • Posted

Hi again Lankylass

I was thinking about you last night and wondering how your Friday night at the Pub was going.  I had a glass of wine with dinner and it's such a treat as I couldn't drink at all at one point.  

It took me a bit of time to adjust to this condition so I understand your comments as I'm not a smoker either and have a similar lifestyle to your own. (also now retired).  

As I've said before, I wish I had known about this Forum as I was very down for a long time with the breathlessness and struggle to do everything.  Having found the correct medication has changed things for me so there is hope.  

The music for your Play was written by Alex Glasgow - we loved the TV serial 'When the Boat Comes in'.

Jess 

• Posted

HI Jess, Glad you enjoyed a glass of wine. I had a bottle of beer at the pub and enoyed it. As yet I haven't had a glass of wine, it's odd really as the doctor said it would be ok, also the nurse at the warfarin clinic, I haven't had another 'attack' like the first time, probably due to the bisoprolol slowing the heart down and likewise the BP. I am a bit hesitant as I dont' want the irregular beat and 'knocking', (as I call it) at night in bed to get any worse. I like wine, it adds to the meal and is great to 'chill out' with, I may give it a whirl tonight as I watch the World Cup Final, whoop whoop!! Yes, I do believe Alex Glasgow wrote the music for the play, 'close the coalhouse door', is performed by the Northumbrian group, 'The Unthanks', very good if you like traditional folk music. Cheers
    • Posted

Yeah, sleep problems seem to be one of the symptoms many of us have so like you, I'm hesitant too and don't want to risk too much alcohol....just in case.  Enjoy the world cup later .... I may live dangerously and have a wee Cointreau

Bye

• Posted

When I was told I had to have warfarin I argued the point having done some research, I knew there were better more modern drugs that were better suited to my lifestyle my argument was that if they wanted to give me warfrin because it was the best drug for me then fine but if only because it is the cheapest then I won't take it, actually it's not the cheapest when you add the cost of the regular testing they agreed on riveroxibane which required no testing and its suits me. Was told asprin not affective enough but don't forget women are at higher risk of AF induced strokes than me we get an extra point on the chat score just cause we are women

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.