atrial fibrillation

Posted , 8 users are following.

on the 22nd of august this year i was admitted into hospital.after not being able to breathe spent six days in cardiac ward then sent home.i have stopped smoking also drinking,my meds are warfarin flecanide also bisopradol,last couple of days i have struggled with my breathing all seems to point to the beater blocker(not sure),this is what ive found out.on the 10,th of this month i am down for the cardio version asked the hospital if it does not work what are the next move no answer.also asked about work i am a self employed painter&decorator so can not afford time off,but my breathing is so poor i am at home no energy also tired all the time.if anyone out there can give me a glimmer of hope after the cardio version ,that i can return to my trade and go back painting new houses,or look for a new career,my inr,s in the past week ranged from 1.4,then 2 then todays 3.1,i am new to this af felt fine upto the 22 of august since then i have felt like a old man i am 52,who thought i was fairly fit any help would be appreciated thanks  nigel

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jon & Nigel.

i blog under my wifes name Maxine, but have since found out by volunteering to go on a Cardiac survey that I have atrial flutter, no symptoms what so ever, so had i not gone I would not have known.

i saw a cardiologoist about 4 months ago who said i needed an Abalation which he would do early next year.

I was put on warfarin and went to my local Hospital for around 10 weeks until my INR was stable and now I have been going to my local Boots chemist to have my blood test.

I am a very young 75 year old and quite fit, I sleep well, have no breathlessnes but have Hypertension which is under control.

I take no medication for my Af. 

I spend most of my day buying and selling on my PC and in betweeen tend to do a lot of studying about different illnesses on line.

About 4 weeks ago I had a long chat with my GP who I have a good relationship with, I told him that having read all about the procedure Abalation I have decided not to have it and come off warfarin in favour of a another drug.

He said i should have one abalation and if the does not work then call it a day, 2 weeks ago I went back to my GP and asked him to check my pulse, would you believe for 20 seconds it was in sinus rhythm, so he called for an ECG the next day, still uncertain he has referred me back to the Cardiologist, another 6 months wait, NOT as in the next 2 weeks I am stopping taking warfarin.

I know this info does not help either of you and I sympathise with you both and hope you get sorted out sooner, rather than later.

If your not happy with things, drugs, procedures etc, chase up the person resposableto get it sorted.

Best wishes Ken.

• Posted

As you are already under the care of a cardiologist I would phone his secretary and ask for an earlier appointment due to your change of circumstances. Six months is totally unaceptable.
    • Posted

Cheers pal roll on cardio version next Friday, hope that may help alot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.