atrial fibrillation and anticoagulant

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 7 years ago I had atrial fibrillation cause by a hole in my heart. I had it fixed and came off warfarin after 2 years of no afib. In January 2014 i had a parathyroidoctomy. ..which triggered my thyroid in going over active which triggered an episode of afib. My thyroid is all ok now and I gave not had afib for over a year. I want to come off anticoagulants especially now am on Rivaroxaban which I can't seem to lose weight on. I haven't had afib for over a year it was an overactive thyroid gland that triggered it...my gp says I could afib again but as long as my thyroid is ok i should be ok. I really want to come off anticoagulants ...advice please ...Thank you x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I actually have a post on something else my daughter has a hole in her heart ventricular septal defect that never sealed causing a murmer.is not the risk of death worse than being on a medication. I understand you haven't had any symptoms in over a year, my wife had a heart condition that would cause her to go into episodes..she did not need the cumiden but Bette blockers and such..because of being symptom free she went off of her meds continued with a bad diet salty/ fast foods..within a year she was dead.my opinion is its the meds that are keeping you from going into afib.blood thiners help a lot in that area less stress on the heart..if you stop your thinners/ meds your afib will come back I've seen it..please don't be ignorant/ in denial about your condition..my wife was ignorant and went against medical advice and not but a year after she was DEAD...no niceness to it other than bluntness to try to help you save your life..meds mean life I know they suck I know the side effect are sh*ty.take your meds and live go off of them and truly your fate will be the same as my wife's..good luck..
    • Posted

Thank you for you honesty...i am sorry about your wife. I have read and taken in what you have said. I will stay on the anticoagulants.

I wish you all the best thank you Carroll x

• Posted

I think it is best to stay on them Carroll as the risk of a stroke would cause even more problems to what we already have. My Warfarin does not mention eating at the same time, the aspirin I was on did but I have read through and there are no suggestions about taking with a meal, just having them at 6pm each night.
    • Posted

Hi i have lots of acid problems therfore any pills i take with food ...think its wiser to take with food ..when I say a person about my stomach problems he advised me too also. Are you going to try the new alternatives to warfarin?
    • Posted

I was offered them but after long consideration I was concerned about the fact that the others had no reversal to a severe bleed whereas Vitamin K can be given with Warfarin to clot so save bleeding out. My GP felt the Warfarin was best after I had made the decision as the newer ones still needed more testing.
    • Posted

I thought they had been tested ?. The only antidote they have is dialysis in emergency only
    • Posted

They need more. There are lawsuits pending from American patients. They have not been tested for patients with artificial heart valves as I guess we are a minority group.
    • Posted

All depends on when you have your dinner. I took them at 5pm and then started cooking. If I was out I took some with me.
    • Posted

I asked my pharmacist to look into the new drug versus warfarin. I have known her For years and I trust her more than the doctors she looked into and said the new drug was safer in her opinion than warfarin ...have a nice day
    • Posted

When I asked at my local pharmacy she got out a huge book. She then said that they are contra indicated for patients with prosthetic heart valves but did not know what  prosthetic was:-)
    • Posted

She was the British one. The Asian and Polish ones are much better educated.

The Asian one is very good. One day when I was waiting she spoke to someone getting Warfarin for the first time and told him much that his doctor had not told him about nor had given him his Yellow Book.

I was twice prescribed Amiodarone and each time had to stop taking it as it affected my eyes, gave me a tremor, an unsteady gait and totally disturbed my equilibrium. 

The second time I was prescribed it I had already been taking Warfarin for about six weeks and the registrar did not know that Warfarin should be reduced as Amiodarone then drastically affects your INR. I had to find that out for myself when my INR doubled. The practice nurses did not know that  nor did my GP.

I asked the pharmacist why I had to be the last line of defence and why they had not warned me. She said that the registrar and my GP should each have warned me. When I said that my GP had not known she said that he must have forgotten:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.