Atrial Fibrillation and Warfarin

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation about a year ago and have been treated with Bisoprolol and Aspirin. This seems to be working for me but have been advised by my doctor to go onto warfarin as I am at medium risk of a stroke. I don't want to change anything at the moment whilst the present medication seems to be working because I have heard some negative reports of warfarin - not only the side effects of hair loss etc. and giving up various foods but also the fact that you have to tell your doctor about practically any changes in what you eat and where you go (holidays etc). This seems very restrictive. Could I please have your experiences of taking Warfarin. HELP

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As other people experienced, my AF appeared out of the blue. One episode lasted for six days. Other episodes lasted for a few hours but became more frequent. I was put on betablockers and warfarin at first. I felt dreadful after 5 days on betablockers. I had aching pains in my legs and my blood pressure dropped to a low level. I came off the betablockers but stayed on the Warfarin for about 6 weeks. I felt no particular side effects from the warfarin. After visiting the cardiologist I am now on flecinide and aspirin. I am back at work and I have returned to my exercise routine. If I am a few hours late taking the flecinide I start to feel a few fibrilations. While off work I had days when I looked and felt fine. However now I am back at work I realise that the stress of work and all the activity would have only brought on the AF. I feel a sort of soreness in my chest when there are stessful episodes though and only what I can describe as wobbly on occasions. Is this common? I do think about the future as I am 47 years old and lead an active life.
  • Posted

Hi - I have had my aortic valve replaced in 2000 and have been on warfarin since.

I am now almost 54 years old and do ok on warfarin - I have regular blood tests to determine my INR and then my meds ar adjusted to try to keep it within about 2.0 and 3.0.

I also have a leaking and regurgitating mitral valve and last week was hspitalised and had to have my heart shocked as I went onto a fib and also had pulmonary oedema!

I am ok today but really worried about it all.

Heidi

• Posted

[color=darkblue:3cfffd7496]I was put on Warfarin immediately after I was diagnosed with AF even though I was considered (low risk). I must admit I was a bit concerned about it like you. Especially after hearing all those negitive stories from other people. I had no effects at all except from bruising more easily. It was a bit inconvenient at first having to have regular blood tests to get the amount of warfarin right, but they will soon be able to get the right dosage for you.

As for holidays don't worry about that they will sort you out. My sister-in-law went on a 3 month holiday to Australia and just went for her checks over there with no problem. She probably wouldn't be alive now without Warfarin. As for myself they would let me go away on holiday and check me out when I got back. There was only a few over the counter medications & prescriptions that were incompatable but I managed well just the same.

I am now thankfully off the Warfarin for the time being and just take Aspirin & Sotalol. If ever I have to go back on it in future I would definately take it. As they consider you a (medium risk) I would take there advise rather than running the risk of having a stroke - a small price to pay don't you think?

I hope this has helped you to decide. This is just my story anyway. I would be interested to know how you get on. good luck!

[color=darkblue][/color:3cfffd7496][/color]

• Posted

Hi I have got A F and been on Warfrin for 10 years the staff that do your I N R are great they work round you , 

also certain foods you can have them in Moderation I adore sprouts and still eat them 

what I do etc 

if I have a cough I ask my chemist to check what I can have 

I made my own Medication cards ,

you can learn to live With 

Warfarin Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.