Atrial Fibrillation at 22/23

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was diagnosed as having atrial fibrillation in June 2016 shortly after my 23rd birthday. It's taken me over 6 months to see a good cardiologist. He's told me my heart is strong and is in good shape but I am definitely in atrial fibrilation.

I guess I got into atrial fibrillation when I got really drunk one night, I don't do any hard drugs such as cocaine, etc. I use to smoke but I've quit now. I've been told I'll need a cardioversion and I'm currently on rivoroxaban 20mg. I'm so scared whether this will be something that will affect my for the remainder of my life or whether I'll end up having a stroke in my 30s/40s. my BPM varies from 75-90. I'm still fairly young and there's no history of family afib so I'm so scared to know why me?

Can anyone help by discussing their own battles with afib and whether in my case it can be resolved?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

At age 19 my brother doctors in two places told him he had a heart condition and only two years to live.  He lived to 77, had three sons and numerous grandchildren.  Many people live with AFib many years. Report back here when you are over 80.
    • Posted

Hello Masonc,

Thanks for the message. That's quite odd. What heart problem did your brother have? I'd be more than happy to report back at the age of 80 to let the younger generation know that atrial fibrillation although is a problem but is not a permanent cause of concern.

• Posted

Hi all,

Just an update. I've had a successful cardioversion. Had it done on the 5th and it worked first time! Very nervous about the procedure but it's worked well. Can definitely feel a big difference. My heart rate had dropped from 85 to about 65-70 although the muscles around my heart still feel weird I definitely feel a lot better. Hopefully this will be the end of the chapter between me and afib and I will definitely be keeping the alcohol to a strict minimum! Thank you to everyone who replied to messages, you guys are awesome. I wish you all the best!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.