atrial fibrillation coping with stress

Posted , 4 users are following.

after 8 years AFIB is back have been to emergency 3 times in 1 month but its gone by the time they hook me up to the ECG machine i am then sent home and told its health anxiety, as i take sotalol and blood thinner they wont do anything about the AF for 7 days

people say learn to live with it but thats easier said than done.

any advice on how to accept that i have AF

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Jean

I was told I have Afib too although I think it is SVT . Mine happens several times a day ..It's very scary and I have developed health anxiety because of this. I am also trying to accept that I have this. I don't know how anyone can just accept this. I just made an appointment with a mental health place to see a counselor.. I'm going to start there. My doctor labeled me as anxious and has written prescriptions out for Prozac and another anxiety med. I won't take them.

What did you do to stop Afib for 8years? Maybe you need a new medication? I don't have any answers and I'm sorry you are going through this....

• Posted

hello ladies,

The stress associated with Afib is real! I have had 2 cardioversions and just had an ablation. The anxiety has worsened and the problem with panic and anxiety is that it contributes to the onset of Afib. I've got to come to the point of acceptance that this is incurable and a fact of life. The only positive I was told is that Afib is not a death sentence. Yet, I feel like it is. Living in fear of your heart is it's own type of death sentence. I am in therapy and take Trintellix for depression and Buspirone and Xanax for anxiety. For my heart I take Diltiazem and Xarelto. I feel no better after the ablation and was told I cannot workout for 2 weeks. That put me into such a depression that I started panicking. That's my only release! 2 weeks will be hard, but I need to be thankful that I'm not in a hospital. Best of luck to you both. I'm in my 40's and never even heard of this until I was diagnosed.

• Posted

thank you for your reply.. Im sorry youre going through all if this.. Its hard to deal with .

• Edited

I cannot figure out how to make my own post on here! as I'm reading through many posts, I relate to yours.

I'm a 46 yr old female, I have a family history of afib ( 68 yr old mother, 40 yr old brother).

I've run about 20 miles a week for the last 13 years. in 2014 I developed severe panic disorder which I have tried to manage with therapy, lifestyle, and running, but no meds. it has waxed and waned. I've had my heart tested many times, but not in last 2 or 3 years.

I bought a Samsung smartwatch with ekg this winter. in the last couple months, according to my watch, my panic attacks, if that's what they are, have triggered very short runs of afib ( less than a minute).

here's what happens....I suddenly get really lightheaded, faint. or feel dream like, then my heart rate increases. I don't know if its panic or not but it is terrifying. today it happened on a five minute drive. out of the blue I got lightheaded and has a weird head feeling. I parked the car and did the watch ekg. it said afib, and then went away. that's the 5th time it's happened since February

here's my question. is a weird head feeling, or sudden lightheadedness panic or something from my heart?

do you have any afib warnings?

I do have incredible terror when this happens. also, because I've only seen afib on my watch, I don't know how accurate it is and if my shaking is affecting the results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.