Atrial fibrillation, yawning!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all

Recently being diagnosed with paroxysmal fast atrial fibrillation. My heart goes irregular and fast for a few hours (180bpm) then reverts back to normal sinus rhythm. I'm only 29, so it's kind of hard to accept as I always perceived this to be an older persons condition. Especially since I do fitness and sports 5 days a week!

Can I just check I'm not going mad... My atrial fibrillation is triggered when I yawn. The doctors almost laughed at me when I told them, but when I yawn apparently I stimulate a vagus nerve which is putting me into AFib. Apparently I will require an ablation to fix my 'over excitable heart'.

Does anyone else have yawning as a trigger?

Thanks guys

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The vagus nerve stimulates digestion and heart beat and sometimes the messages get mixed up. My triggers are indigestion when my stomach feels bloated and stress or if I get overtired.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I'm on amlopodine for hypertension.

My attacks have almost always come at night while asleep. Typically they last 7 or 8 hours. As well as the probiotics I take a Magnesium supplement.

The probiotics seems to have sorted out my digestive problems and coincidently no afib perhaps because vagus nerve ok?

There's quite of online regarding vagus nerve triggering afib.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for all the info here. I too was diagnosed with afib a couple of years ago and I’m trying to put my finger on what starts it off. I’m pretty co Gide this that when I get an IBS attack, it seems to encourage afib. I’m now looking again at the vagus nerve, which I’d heard about before, I think from my acupuncturist a few years ago. It’s very interesting that there may be a link here. Do many doctors recognise this I wonder?  I’d like to understand more. What probiotics do you take please?  Many thanks again for sharing this.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah. Just read your email and that you too mention the vagus nerve. I’m sure there is a connection here between IBS and afib. I’m searching the web.  I also notice that stress is my worst enemy as this too can trigger afib. Thank you again for your experience x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I think you just need to work out which pro biotics you need by figuring it out what triggers an afib attack or by experimenting. I am using one that contains lipase.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I have the vagal-type of AFIB and I have gone into AFIB by taking a deep breath (so similar to yawning), burping, drinking water too quickly, of as the result of heartburn/acid reflux.
    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up