Atrial Tachycardia

Posted , 3 users are following.

im a 27 year old female and i had mitral valve repair in 2017 and i finally got my life back and then a year ago i became pregnant with my 3rd baby before becoming pregnant i was working out 5 days a week eating healthy and it was the healthiest i have been my entire life mentally and physically then during my pregnancy i started suffering from severe palpitations which didnt help my anxiety and ended up always being at my cardiologists office thinking there was something wrong with my heart. long story short after many echos, ecgs and blood tests they found nothing and diagnosed it as ectopic beats but i knew in my guts it was something more i was getting so out of breath i could barely stand up without feeling lightheaded and times i would lay down on the floor when i was having a shower due to my heart pounding so fast and my palpitations going crazy then my cardiologist booked me for a holter and once i got the results back they diagnosed me with SVT. my pregnancy and labour were traumatic to say the least as i had to be monitored the whole way through.

i went to see my cardioligist after i gave birth and all my symptoms had disappeared except the fast heart rate and palpitations which my cardioligist said your svt was probably caused by pregnancy and your symptoms should go within 6 months, sometimes the palpitations caused me so much anxiety that i would end up in the ER and most of the time they would tell me its anxiety related. i thought i was going crazy i got referred to see a psychologist and because i was so anxious they offered to admit me to hospital because she thought it was all my anxiety then a week ago i pushed my cardiologist for another holter and once i got the results back he diagnosed me with atrial tachycardia and inappropriate sinus tachycardia ive been an absolute mess but im glad i finally got a diagnosis and that it wasnt anxiety and i wasnt going crazy. my cardiologist put me on ivabradine and referred me to an electrophysiologist which im seeing on the 23rd of this month im so nervous and continuosly wondering why something like this has happened to me. i found this forum last night and im really hoping i can hear back from other peoples expriences and if anyone knows much about atrial tachycardia and innapropriate sinus tachycardia.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I have AT. Mine started 5 years ago when I was 60. It started just out of the blue. At that time, I had a really bad cold and cough and I think this virus set me off.

My situation is not like yours. But I just wanted to tell you that this is not life threatning,, But it is life altering.

In the beginning, I had such awful anxiety with my episodes. Then I was anxious not knowing when the next would come.

I have come a huge way from this. Now, when they kick off, I actually become p****d off. No anxiety. I immediately get to doing my maneuvers until one of them works.

My episodes last from 5 minutes and up to over 6 hours.

I have gone 3 times for attempted ablations, but never ablated. ( That's a long story.....)

I am always aware of what my heart is doing, but I think that just comes with this condition.

When one of my episodes started, I get a flutter really high in my upper stomach, and off it goes. Just like a light switch, |And when it stops, it stops the same way.

Yup, it sucks, but i have come a long way. Since feb 2016, I have had 110 episodes. I track everything and keeps notes.

• Posted

i have an appointment with an electrophysiologist on the 23rd of march and im really hoping that i can get an ablation i know a lot of people are scared of ablations and im not saying im not but to think that i have to live like this would be an absolute nightmare. im at a point where if im left alone i get so anxious that something is going to happen to me and theres no one there. ive read a lot of things online and it says atrial tachycardia is caused by an enlarge left atrium or heart failure which makes me extremely scared.

was there a reason why your ablation didnt work? and can ablation fix atrial tachycardia?

• Posted

I have never been told about that nor have I ever read that.

I have chatted with some people that have been fixed by ablation for AT.

My EP did give me a lower change for correction at about 70-85%.

There are a couple of closed facebook groups for SVT.. You might consider joining. Tons of action there discussing this. So much support there and a great group of people.

• Edited

I have had SVT my whole life, but recently saw an EP for the first time. After wearing a 2-week Holter, they suspected that the type of SVT I have is PAT (paroxysmal atrial tachycardia), but are not certain. Either way, I believe the only difference between atrial and other types of SVT is the location of the abnormal cells/circuit - atrial can be located anywhere in the upper chambers, but would not be dependent on the AV node like AVNRT. While the condition is annoying, I've been reassured that the condition is benign and I have learned to live with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.