Atrioventricular Nodal Reentrant Tachycardia Catheter Ablation - Papworth Hospital

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have thought long and hard about posting this experience, I am speaking on my daughter's behalf as she now has hypoxic brain injury acquired during a cardiac arrest.

Her presentation to ED was HR 150 bpm, blood pressure was 131/90. She was 13 days post-partum having given birth 13 days before in the same hospital to her son. She is 23 years old and otherwise healthy. She had a persistent cough and was feeling breathless.

After various procedures and treatment lasting 4 hours including IV beta-blockers, IV Magnesium, IV Adenosine, Anaesthesia and Cardioversion she had a cardiac arrest.

This story is about the journey after cardiac arrest and her ablation last year. I am going to post a link here to a detailed blog post covering the ablation process.

https://jessicaraerudland.com/2016/08/04/atrioventricular-nodal-reentrant-tachycardia/

I hope it provides insight into the experience of undergoing a modern catheter ablation and I am not promoting any expertise or cardiology knowledge, I just wish to share the life experience of a young lady who was originally diagnosed with a persistent arrhythmia which the hospital thought was Atrial Flutter, it turned out to be AVNRT after further ECG's and her journey led her to a catheter ablation. She has not had any repeat episodes since the ablation.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you very much for sharing this story, I'm sure hearing about the experience will be invaluable to people going through the procedure. Wishing Jessica all the best in her recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing such a moving and courageous story.  Your family has been challenged more than most. I wish the very best for you all.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment and reading her story. I appreciate the time you took to read it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.