Atrophic Vaginitis

Posted , 17 users are following.

It has been a great relief to discover that other women of my age are also experiencing this awful condition. I am 61 and really the only menopausal symptom that bothered me was/is vaginal dryness. I was prescribed HRT for 5 years after which it was suggested that I should discontinue that medication. The problem was that I soon discovered that appalling discomfort when attempting intercourse. I did some research and asked the Dr for Vagifem, which was prescribed. It did seem to work but as soon as that is discontinued after 2/3 months the problem reoccurs and the doctors seem reluctant to prescribe further treatment. After several months I read about Sylk, but really not very effective. After a lapse of several more months I decided to go back to the surgery and ask for another course of Vagifem. After an hour in the waiting room sitting with bronchitic patients, the Dr finally prescribed another course!

My concern is that surely we should not have to undergo this constant roller coaster to get something so basic. How many more decades are women supposed to put up with this unnecessary misery?

The effect on relationships can be devastating and it's about time this condition was properly addressed.

8 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree entirely. I also use Vagifem and every time I leave it off to see if I really do need it, I go straight back to square one. Fortunately, my GP says I can use it indefinitely as I am not on any other HRT and well past menopause. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi

Thanks so much for that inormation. I am also not on any other form of HRT, so when the time comes to request a repeat prescription, I will suggest this to my Dr. What irritates me is that one has to go through the gauntlet each time to make an appt. then wait forever. I used to get automatic repeat prescriptions for oral HRT, which is much more invasive. I shall be more assertive and confident next time!

Thanks again.

• Posted

I have a repeat prescription for the vagifem and will need to take it always (hospital consultant recommendation) If I forget a while I am in unbearable discomfort so know there is a need.
  • Posted

Hi jane92

5 years on now from my post above, I still use it and I too will need to take it always. I am also in unbearable discomfort if I stop and bladder issues start to kick in.

It's just good that the gynaecologists and doctors agree!!!

• Posted

I think you are all relatively lucky. I have vaginal atrophy so badly that intercourse is completely impossible. Vagifem has no effect at all and indeed the last time I tried just inserting it was agony. My relationship has suffered and I just feel heartbroken all the time that I can't have proper sex. Make the most of what you've got while you have it!
    • Posted

Hi Sue , my name is Mindy. I just came across this discussion and when I read your reply I starte to cry because I know exactly where your coming from. It's been 11 years for me. I'm only 52 but cancer treatment put me into early menopause . I feel like an 'it'   I'm heartbroken , sad and miss intimacy with a man. My guy loves me but his frustration is always there .  This is the first place I've found omen to relate to and who can understand   

• Posted

Hi Sue, I'm 53 and totally understand where your coming from, I too have been suffering from menopausal vaginal atrophy for about the last three years. I go to the gym almost daily which doesn't help. I've had one yeast infection after another, I went to my GP who prescribed Vagifem which worked, so I stopped taking it thinking it was all back to normal, big mistake. My second round of Vagifem didn't seem to work as well, I was still getting lots of yeast infections and I avoided sex like the plague. I finally found that by addressing the yeast internally, by drinking Kefir, taking Caprylic Acid together with vaginal moisturiser and Vagifem my foof feels part way normal again. I do however still find intercourse tight and a bit sore,I think because I've avoided it for so long. The vagina can shrink and tightens due to lack of use. It's a vicious circle, no woman wants to have discomfort during sex, what's the point, you do it for the sake of your husband. I can't say this hasn't affected me mentally because it has, I sometimes feel I might as well be a Barbie Doll lol. But seriously this is a seriously stressful condition thank God for these furums, at least we're not on our own xxx 😂

• Posted

Oh poor Sue, that sounds awful. Is there nothing that works for you?
  • Posted

Oh, thank you! Sympathy helps!! No, I have tried NHS gynaecologists, private gynaecologists, psychosexual counselling, oral HRT, more HRT, vaginal HRT, both tablets (ouch!) and cream. Nothing works. It's like I have no vagina. When I think of my misspent youth I can't believe this has happened to me! I don't even know if it's common, I haven't heard of anyone else like this but who knows, it's not something we talk about. It wouldn't be so bad but my partner, though almost perfect in every other sense, has been completely unsympathetic and indeed angry. As I say, I'm heartbroken, I thought we'd be at it till I died...
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

I know it's a last ditch attempt, but have you tried a herbal practitioner? Not one of the Chinese herbs and accupucture places. but a real herbal doctor.

I've been seeing a herbal doctor called Richard Adams, since i was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of 2008.

He's helped me with all kinds of physical, mental and emotional issues while going through treatment and following up with maintaining a healthy body and mind.

One of the effects of cancer treatment was a relatively early menopause.

which i'm now receiving herbal medicine for.

The only sypmtom that really bothered me was painful sex and a sore /dry/vagina. At the moment i'm taking a course of liquid meds for a couple of months , to deal with the problem from inside out.

Then he's going to prescribe a herbal cream/ pessary.

I have been to see my Gp and a sexual health gynaecologist who have checked for infections ( there are none) and prescribed steroid cream, anti thrush meds (even thought there was no thrush) and now Gynest (as there is only a small dose of estrogen. 0.001 percent) . But i'm not sure i want to be on the merry- go- round of on and of Gynest ( as described by other people on this forum,) with symptoms getting worse.

I know menopause isn't a condition that needs to be 'cured' - that sypmtoms that cause distress can be relieved or alleviated.

Maybe you've already tried everything Sue, but if not find a good , reputable herbal practictioner and go for a consultation. It's worth a try. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Jane,Scriv and Sue and Guest. So the years have passed and am particularly saddened by Sue's situation. Nothing seems to have changed the attitudes of the medics. Since my last message so much has changed. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was operated on in early 2009. We knew the probable outcome and we have both come to terms with the situation and although we do miss that personal intimacy we are just happy to still have each other's company.

However I am still cross that there are women out there like Sue who are broken hearted when they have done everything and yet no answer for such a simple problem. I think the problem lies in the fact that we are not prepared to put our heads above the parapet and scream because the problem is regarded as embarrassing!!

• Posted

Hi all,

Scriv I am wondering how many times you use the vagifem per week? I am trying to remember twice a week but think I should really go for 3.

June so sorry to hear of your husbands medical problems.

So sorry to read your message, Sue. (((hugs)))

It was a lady consultant urogynaecologist who actually diagnosed and helped me, she got my Dr to prescribe sylk too and my own male urogynaecologist has been a little more helpful recently.

• Posted

Hi, I use Vagifem twice a week - Tues and Friday, which suits my issues. Can you ask your doctor to try 3 times to see if there's an improvement?
  • Posted

It was suggested I use daily for a while but that gives me headaches, I use Wed and Sat as I find it easier to remember, may try 3 times for a bit though adding in Monday. I was originally written up for 3 days a week but thought it prudent to use as little as possible so wasn't getting the relief needed.

Sadly it doesn't eradicate bladder issues which the consultant had hoped. In my mid fifties I feel positively geriatricsad

I thought life after Hysterectomy and a TVT would be easier...

• Posted

10mcg v. 25mcg

Have just got a repeat prescription for Vagifem and notice that the dose is now 10mcg not the 25mcg that I have been getting on famously with for several years now.

Apparently the 25mcg has been discontinued.

Whereas I appreciate that a lower dose of oestrogen is a very good and safe idea, I am concerned that the lower dose will not be as effective and that the old problems will return.

Any comments????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.