Atrophic Vaginitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, I'm 48yrs old and have already gone through the menopause, unfortunatley it brings with it distressing symptoms of vaginal dryness, sores, cuts and pain. I haven't had intercourse for a while but that is because of the symptoms. I have read the other comments on here and it sounds like painful intercourse is also a problem. I have had AV for about a year now, initially it started with urinary infections and drynes but now it is really bad with itching etc.... Iv'e been back to the Dr. several times and was prescribed Vagifem but although it helped a little it has not got rid of the problem. I have been reffered to a consultant that deals with Dermatology and has dealt with this problem for over 20 yrs. I am not going till March unless an appt is brought forward. I hope that I will succeed in getting some relief. I read on one of the comments that someone took Zirtek and it relieved symptoms!!!! I wonder. as dermatology includes(Hayfever, Exzcema, Asthma) Exzema is a bit like that itching etc..... Who knows Anyway Would like to hear from anyone really. :cry: :cry: :? sad

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

This horrible problem will never go away. I have suffered for about 3 years with AV, been to the Dr's so many times and have tried all the usuual hormone and non hormone treatments, they either had no effect or made the problem worse. My GP referred me to a Gyn Con and she prescribed Estring which is a silicone ring impregnated with estrogen ( spelling ! ), anyway it's left in place for 3 months then replaced with a new one and so far it has worked very well, had flare ups now and again but combined with a steriod cream I can manage. Trouble is it can only be used for a max of 2 years so after that back to square one. If men suffered with this a cure would have been found by now !

• Posted

Hi,

Couldn't agree more!!!   As I mentioned before, I live in France and here my gynae prescribed Colpotrine - both capsules and cream - to be used twice weekly.  The theory is that this amount of estrogen will combat AV- two problems there.  It doesn't always work PLUS it causes other side effects like sore breasts, itching etc.

Please, does anyone have a long-term solution to this horrible problem?

• Posted

Joan I'm your age I'm 67 /68 ,I've just answered Rosemary that problem ,Today just sent for what Jay uses ,wish I'd done it when she first placed it ,if Jay still on site she can forward you the link to getting them .Just placed order for 3 pkts works out cheaper to .

Agree horrid female problem .There called Premeno ovules ,non messy ,got good write up .

• Posted

Many thanks, Marlene.

Will try a search on the Internet to see if I can find a source.

• Posted

Marlene can you post how you get on with the premeno ovules, I am keeping on top of my AV with a combination of Gynest cream and actigel which at present is working ok but a bit messy. I know better than to let even a day go by without using something as it's really easy to start a flare up again. Wondered if I could use a little less Gynest and substitute a premeno but am a bit fearful of rocking the boat.
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm 70 but experienced no problems until last year.  Now I really suffer for VA.  I am UK born but live in france and my urologist, here, recomended Colpotrophine.  It comes in the form of pessaries and cream.  I insert the pessary twice weekly + use the cream, externally, at the same time.  I do this at night as it can be slightly messy.  Generally, since following this procedure, i am virtually free from horrid effects.  Product I believe is produced by Theramex. Maybe you can chat with your gyne and get something similar.  No problem with intercourse.   Hope it works and good luck 

• Posted

I hav ebeen using pjur med silicone lubricant for the same type of problems and  it is brilliant!  Much better than any otherr lubricant I have tried. 
  • Posted

I went back to doctors Friday after

deciding that there must be some sort 

Of answer (wishful thinking)I saw a different 

Doctor who gave me ceteaben  which

seems to help with pess and other cream

been using for while, going back end of week

It's just so depressing.to be sore all the 

Time

• Posted

I'm going today to send off for what Jay on site uses,called Premeno Duo ,ovules ,from Stress no more UK ,fed up with this continual discomfort ,I'm 67 ,and it still goes on .Ive tried everything I know how  so giving Jays a go .All this gets my anxiety up ,because of it .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.