Atrophic Vaginitis for five years. The future ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffered with this terrible condition and went through hell till I was prescribed Climagest 2mg and Vagifem which has now been changed to Ortho Gynest as Vagifem was discontinued. The medication changed my life. I am like a new woman. My consultant told me it was only safe to take for five years and now a month away from being taken off it. I am getting in a state of panic thinking of going back to suffering. What is my future ? Is there anything else I can be offered. I am also looking at natural alternatives. Read a lot about carlsons Vit E and DHEA caps. Any advice from anyone that could help ease my mind about the future of my condition would be helpful

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is it due to menopause or due to infection? The condition usually results from declining oestrogen levels, usually during menopause.

If it is an infection you are worried for, try using tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract or wild Yam cream. Some physicians suggest using tea tree oil by mixing the full-strength oil with vitamin E oil in the proportion of 1/3 tea tree oil to 2/3 vitamin E oil. A tampon is saturated with this mixture or the mixture is put in a capsule to be inserted in the vagina each day for a maximum of six weeks.

If it is a dryness that is bothering you, why don’t you try using vaginal moisturisers, for e.g. Replens vaginal moisturiser? Replens Long-Lasting Vaginal Moisturiser contains a patented ingredient for soothing and long-lasting moisture. When you apply Replens, it immediately goes to work to provide long lasting moisture. For many women suffering from feminine dryness due to menopause, regular use (1-2 times per week) of Replens has been an effective way to alleviate dryness. Plus Replens does not cause the same side-effects that are common with many vaginal oestrogens

While no special diet has yet been proven to reduce the problems associated with atrophic vaginitis, some foods can influence organism growth and your body's ability to fight an infection. Eating plain yogurt which contains live yogurt cultures can help fight infection and soothe inflammation. Oat bran, brown rice, millet has been recommended in some studies.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Luis

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'll consider your suggestions. I'll try anything. It's due to menopause. It was so severe before medication. It was soreness and would bleed with broken skin. The thought of going back to that is just unbearable. Hence my own research.
  • Posted

Just found your discussion very helpful have just started with two weeks on Vagifem & replense already

feeling comfort,It's such excruciating pain I will be getting Tea tree oil & Vitamin e oil as I am using olive oil

which does sooth,I also suffered broken skin & bleeding. God this getting old is difficult it's not as if this is the only condition I'm battling with

• Posted

So glad your feeling better margaret98523. Just seen my GP hes taken me off the Climagest for a while. Having a scan and put me back on the Vagifem lower dose that's now available. Keeping my fingers crossed
  • Posted

Just read your post, how long was Vagifem discontinued and why? i was given this but had to stop due to bleeding after the menapause and had to have scans to check the lining of my womb, thankfully i was ok, was told to stop using the vagifem but no alterantive suggested. was told nothing works like vagifem.How did you find the ortho Gynest?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.