atrophic vaginitis related problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 67 and have had Atrophic vaginitis for several years now treated with Vagifem once a week along with the Yes lubricant. The last couple of weeks though, my bladder/pelvic area has been feeling inflamed almost similar pain as with cystitis. I am not sure what is causing this. Does anyone else have the same discomfort

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am also 67 and had been using Vagifem once or twice a week for about ten years. About 7 months ago my symptons got much worse- similar to yours so I went to see my OB/Gyn. The atrophy  had gotten worse. It is progressive. I had to increase the Vagifem to every other day and add a vulvar oil ( compounded estriol) since I cannot tolerate creams. After about 10 months it is still not adequately controlled to suit me but about 30% better only. I am having the Mona Lisa Touch laer treatments starting on the March 18th.  I would check with your Dr. and see if the atrophy is worse or if it is something else.
    • Posted

Thanks Jean. I am due to see the doc later this month so will ask her then about it. I was wondering if it was because I had an orange juice this morning and the acid had irritated my bladder but it just feels quite uncomfortable at the moment. I am hoping it will go away. Makes me feel really fed up. I have a partially prolapsed bladder which might be getting worse I guess. I wd be interested in hearing how you get on with the mona Lisa treatment
    • Posted

My understanding is that the bladder problems and atrophy go hand in hand. Luckily the only bladder problem I have is having to go during the night 2-3 times. Supposedly the Mona Lisa also helps bladder problems, frequent UTI's and frequent yeast infections ( which I get). I will post towards the end of March as to how the Mona Lisa went.
    • Posted

Thankyou. I will look out for the post and hope all will go well. I am just going to look up whether the mona lisa treatment is available in the UK on the NHS or what the cost is to have it done privately! 😊
    • Posted

I am in the US and having it done at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. The price varies all over the US. There it is $500 per treatment and you only pay for one at a time. Others have said it was up to one thousand dollars per treatment and paid up front!  From what I have researched here, it is mostly private clinics that have it. It is not covered by our insurances as it has only been approved here for just over a year and has not been given a procedure code yet.
    • Posted

Mmm I don't think it's available in the UK except possibly in a few expensive private clinics. I will be interested to hear how you get on
    • Posted

If you find the mona lisa main website it lists all the places in Europe that offer it. 
    • Posted

Hi ... I have had my second Mona Lisa treatment and it has been a life changer.  I am 71 years old and for the last 5 years things had gotten so much worse.  Mona Lisa should be covered for all but unfortunately is not.  

I hope you have as much success as I have...

• Posted

I paid $2500 all at once.. I am in california and everything costs more here ...
    • Posted

We are on the same "schedule" I am 67 and started having worse and worse problems at age 66 !  Anyway, I am so glad to hear this as the VA is affecting my life in bad ways and limiting what I can do. I figure I can deduct on income tax as I also have to fly to OH at a cost of about $400 x 3 times plus the cost of the treatments combined with my other medical costs and health care premiums on medicare, supplement and RX. On the up side, I am going to Cleveland as that is near my grandkids so I can combine visits and stay with my son and his family. 
    • Posted

I agree. Hoping your results have been as good as mine. Small price to pay to relieve these issues. Had one bladder infection after another. So far so good. One more treatment and grateful each day I am pain free
    • Posted

So glad you are feeling so much better. Even if insurance does cover,probably wont for me,my husbands company stuck us with a 6000 high deductable and even more if its out of network. Awful insurance, im actually looking forward to Medicare,if its still around when we turn 65.
    • Posted

But yes,i would pay out of pocket for it. Wish Mayo clinic in Rochester would start doing it.
  • Posted

no insurance coverage, even with medicare.... to new...
    • Posted

Hopefully that will change. Money well spent though,like i said,id do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.