Atrophy and pelvic discomfort with Lichens Sclerosus

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm writing because I have some symptoms that don't seem to come up on here so I'm not sure if they are uncommon LS symptoms or something else. I'd like to do some research but am not sure where to turn. I believe self education is important but there is that balance between exhaustive reading of everything and walking away from the research to try have some time where this disorder isn't consuming all my time and energy, because as you know, we aren't supposed to get stressed out. I want to put this out to this amazing group to see if you can send me in a direction to help narrow down my research instead of spending hours trying to sort through everything out there. The doctors only have what I tell the to go on and what they see and I'm getting some answers that are inconclusive. To be fair I am early in my treatment and have another referral to see in about a month so we simply may not be there.

I am recently diagnosed and now am quite sure that I have had this all my adult life. I thought I was well educated on sexual health matters, which is why I was surprised (and angry) at this diagnosis this late. Generally it showed up as splitting in my 20's to which I was told "don't have such active sex" and then would go away for years at a time. When I started perimenopause in full force (47-50) is when symptoms started. I had itching and a tingling in my vulva. I get oral cold sores and the tingling I feel on my vulva is similar to tingling that signals a cold sore is on its way. Generally the itching wasn't terrible, instead annoying. I had an irritation (tingling) focused on my clitoris which made me feel like I was permanently aroused. Diagnosis: "it's hormones" and "you've left a sexless partnership you are simply rediscovering sex". (A lot of truth to the latter!) I had a few years of high sexual activity while things were atrophying. I'm now postmenopausal at 51.

My labia minora were always small and now are non existent. I believe my clitoris is disappearing. Not being covered over, simply shrinking. Atrophying. Where other LS patients have skin growth that closes over their vaginal opening I cannot see how that would happen to me. My labia majora seem to be receding. I have recently been given estrogen which may restore some plump and perhaps this receding I see is simply 'deflated' labia. I'm not too worked up about this. What is there, is what I've got.

Since starting the steroid creme, my skin is returning to normal appearance. I had finally calmed my mind down from my initial reaction and worry that my clitoris would melt away overnight. Then last weekend, I attempted to have intercourse which flared everything up. For the first time I had plaques. It was terrible burning, papercut like splits on my clitoris. I believe it's calming down so quickly because of the information I've learned and implemented from this forum. Thank-you all!

The other issue I have is a strange feeling in my pelvis. It's not cramping, but rather like an irritation.  From what I know of lichens sclerosus this makes no sense (but I don't know everything!)  I have gotten it in my mind that it is the irritation that I feel on my vulva when things are active, simply inside my pelvis. I have recently had a pelvic ultrasound which I believe was normal. I've since fired the doctor who sent me there (for many reasons but not the ultrasound) and my new doc is getting the results so hopefully soon I will know something.

I also have self diagnosed lichens planus inside my mouth. I'm attempting to get a diagnosis on this.

So my questions to you are:

- atrophy. Is this something that is separate from lichens slcerosus or something that just not a lot of people get? Treatment tips specific to atrophy?

- the pelvic tingling. Anyone else have this? Thoughts on what to research?

And thanks again for all your contributions and the things I've picked up from you.

3 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm the same my clitorus seems to be getting smaller and it's something I worry about as in only 45 and still sexually active it bothers me. But I'm in the Perimenapause so I don't know if it's because of LS or menopause. I have tried eustrogen cream didn't do that much so I think I may try vagifem next. Guess we have to just keep trying things x
  • Posted

Hi Elle

Atrophy:  Yes this is LS and my outer labia have "deflated" (very good description) and hang like a pair of tights on a washing line and the inner labia have all but disappeared.  So far as I am aware, there isn't any treatment.  Your feeling of "paper cuts" is exactly how I described how I was feeling - mad itchy but painful at the same time.

Pelvic tingling:  not exactly although I think the LS has affected my urethra and when I feel as though I need to pee - I really do need to pee and right away!  This could sometimes be described as a tingling/fuzzy feeling in my pelvic area but soon translates into an urgent need to pee.  From what I have read in medical articles, LS can indeed travel up the ureter.

Do you have any involvement of the anus?  I had this, which was very unpleasant, but it seems to be brought under control by Dermovate.  The whole thing flares up when the weather is hot so I have to apply the Dermovate to all areas twice a week to try and keep it at bay.

• Posted

How on earth do you treat LS if it's inside and up the urethra!? I have LS on the vestibule and around my urethra. As far I'm aware it hasn't traveled up. Yet..
    • Posted

How scary is this? That is why I use quite a bit of Advantan fatty ointment in this area to avoid such a catastrophe. 
    • Posted

Yes I have some around the anus which is recent and I appears to be brought under contol easily.

There were times when it took me much longer to pee than before and thre would be a tingly feeling. It seems to have gone back to normal (or have I simply become accustomed to the longer time?). I was unclear in my research if LS could affect the urethra or not, however I believe my research said yes, even though my doctor said no.

• Posted

Hi ElleF

I'm 37 and have been suffering this for a year and a half. I haven't got a diagnosis yet but gp thinks it's LS. I think it could be lichen planus though due to the lesions I have and that it seems to be internal too.

The tingling is there for me too, and a kind of pressure in my pelvis. I feel like it's inside but can't quite work out if it's actually internal or referring from the vulva. I also have burning pain, vulval skin tearing, internal (vaginal) pain.

No atrophy for me, just the lining of my vulva and vagina being eroded.

What an horrific disease.

• Posted

You need a diagnosis as soon as possible. With your age it could be something else. To get into the clinic it would be advisable to have your diagnosis ready. My GP got me in but I had been diagnosed via a biopsy already from dermatologist. 
    • Posted

Ali, does anything help the burning pain? I have this too. It's like a stinging burning pain. The steroid doesn't take it away. Nothing helps except for a warm bath but it always comes back after a while.
    • Posted

Dani, a soothing soak in a warm bath with 1/3 cup bicarbonate of soda added will help nutralise any urine and help calm any inflamation.  You can treat with many things but I find manuka honey, (although if I had none any honey is worth a try) will take the sting out of things. Use a pad to prevent a mess and you only need a small amount. You can also try Epaderm an emollient that can be used for washing and moisturising the area. There are so many different ideas for treating a flare up.  Some use coconut oil 100% and others use Witch Hazel and some Aloe Vera, using the purest form you can get.  You can make a spray up with the bicarb to use on the toilet.  Shorten the tube in the spray bottle to make it work upside down.  Some use Hydramol which is similar to Epaderm.  Which steroid are you using?  Lots of us have mostly found that Clobetasol (or Dermovate as it is also known ) ointment is the only one that works. An extremely strong steroid which you should only use in pea size amounts and only once daily for 1-2 weeks then reduce down to only twice a week to keep the Ls from recurring.  I hope this helps.  If you listen to Dr. Goldstein's webinair the site details are pinned in the first post along with a good description of ls and its treatment.  Really worth an hour of your time.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi dani,

Nothing to take it away completely but both bi-carb soda in the bath and the steroid ointment help. I've also been using this tea-tree oil spray that I had for after waxing to be extremely helpful in relieving pain by lubricating the vulva, as simply walking makes the skin tear at the moment.

• Posted

Thanks Chrisy for the advice. I'm not using a spray bottle after urinating so I may give that a try.
    • Posted

Make sure you pat dry and moisturise after.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Elle,

I have the same questions regarding atrophy. I'm in my 20s and have LS which has caused the skin to thin. I have read that sometimes LS doesn't present with atrophy. I have also read that the atrophy isn't reversible with LS so I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done. I'm using estrogen topically every day. I question how much it's doing though.

What does atrophy look like? Is the skin smooth and pink or does it appear red and inflamed and more friable? I have no idea what to look for.

• Posted

Atrophy means to waste away or shrink, so yes it is irreversible. Once it's gone there is not way to get it back. If there has been fusing (where parts meld into one another) I understand there can sometimes be reversals.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the bits of mine that I believe are atrophying look normal, they are simply getting smaller - shrinking.

Are you also using a steroid creme in addition to the estrogen?

• Posted

Another aspect of atrophy is shrinkage of the size of the vaginal introitus. I was down to two fingers after two years of treatment and celibacy (with two damaging episodes of sex during that time). In a little experiment with my fingers last week I managed to tear the edge a tiny bit. I started applying ointment nightly (I usually go twice a week) and when I looked closely yesterday I realize that what had torn was a small scar that had sort of folded the edge of my perineum (I think that's called the fourchette) and it had opened out to where it was two years ago. The triangle exposed is pink skin, not LS white crap. So, I'm continuing nightly for a few more days and lots of coconut oil. And, by gum, these fingers are going to keep that from happening again. I thnk this is worth a new discussion, so I'm going to paste this and repost.
    • Posted

I agree with you completely Elle. I'm delighted for all the people who are experiencing some reversal of their fusing with soda bathing and regaining their labia minora to any degree. Mine would have to GROW back which isn't going to happen and like the other Chrisy (sorry it's so confusing) I've pretty much come to terms with that now. But I do worry about my clitoris which like yours is also shrinking, not fusing or becoming buried or covered over. Whilst I've not heard from any one who has said they've completely lost their clitoris IN THIS WAY neither have I been able to find any information to reassure me that this won't happen. At the moment it still works, I can still orgasm. The thought that one day it might simply not exist is just weird. Can you imagine if for men their penis might shrink and disappear completely? I think we might all hear rather more about it!

I've used Dermovate ointment since first being diagnosed together with Aqueous cream as all round moisturiser, barrier etc. I know it has helped other people experience relief from itching and white labia returning to pink. I never itched ( lucky in that I know) so it didn't help me with that and it didn't stop the inexorable retreat of my labia minora and it ISN'T stopping the shrinking of my clitoris. Which I agree otherwise looks completely normal. So sometimes I wonder why I bother applying it at all. I was told maintenance applications were for life but really it isn't maintaining ANYthing for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.