Atrophy in Lichen Sclerosis

Posted , 37 users are following.

I've had LS about 2 years. I'm really lucky when I read the experiences of others as I don't have any irritation and don't really know I've got it on a day to day basis. My inner labia simply developed white edges. Consequently I haven't bothered with the cream I was prescribed. What is worrying me is how my inner lips are receding. Everything I can find on line seems to be about coping and soothing the itch which is understandable as it must be horrific. But I can find nothing about the atrophy part of LS and I'm really freaking out now. What happens if it keeps going until there is nothing left? Will my body continue to atrophise (if there is such a word) into me if you see what I mean?! I'd just be grateful to hear of someone else that this has happened or is happening to.

4 likes, 164 replies

164 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Chrissyc it has shrunk and is also fusing over theres nothing much there at all now sad

• Posted

Hi ChrissyC, I think you're right that there is a difference between LP & LS. I think LS is erosive whereas LP isn't. I mentioned my case because my labia minora have gradually shrunk to almost nothing so I'm wondering if my LP has progressed to LS now. although it just occurred to me that perhaps they shrink naturally when you start menopause?? Worth looking into.

My LP has never cleared up ever since I was diagnosed all those years ago & I think I was probably suffering from it for a lot longer & always thought the soreness & itching were Thrush symptoms. Sometime it's not as sore but I'm never free form it.

I remember talking to a female Gynae about vaginal LP once & she said that it was not possible to get it in the vagina!!! Well the biopsies that I had done many years later by a Private Gynae proved otherwise.

I hope it clears up one day, I'm fed up with sore gums, cleaning my teeth is very painful. The symptoms of Vulval/vaginal LP are much easier to alleviate with creams & potions but there is no cure as such, as I'm sure everyone who suffers with either LS or LP knows.

I hope one day they find a cure or even find out what causes it. I know it's thought to be an auto-immune thing & is described as a non-contagious skin disease & can in rare cases develop into cancer, hence the need for regular check-ups but I'm sure you all know that already.

Like I said in my original post, I really don't want my daughter to suffer with this.

• Posted

Hi Everyone.

just a few thoughts:

How many sufferers have had a hysterectomy?

How many have gone through, or are going through the menopause?

How many are overweight?

How many have thyroid problems?

How many suffer IBS and if so which foods/conditions trigger it?

Which part of Britain do you live in? (you don't need to be specific)

Are you generally an anxious person?

Does a bout of anxiety worsen the problem?

What other questions might be useful to ask each other?

Some things here may be relevant - or none of it, but there may be some patterns and we won't know if we don't ask each other. Above all try not to get down about this!

• Posted

Hi Margaret & ladies,

I found your comments very interesting Margaret, & would like to pass on my answers if it's any help.

1. I haven't had a hysterectomy (or had children)

2. I am peri menopausal

3. I am about a stone overweight

4. I may possibly have thyroid problems, (Am waiting test's)

5. I'm not to sure about IBS, but if i need to go, I NEED to go (my Mum & sister suffer with it)

6. I live near Oxford (An hour from London)

7. Yes I do suffer with anxiety (am taking Citalopram for it)

8. I think the anxiety IS making it worse

I'd like to add that I'm 46 & was diagnosed 2 months-ish ago, but have been suffering (I think) for about 2-3 years.

It would be really interesting to see other people's comment's & what we do all have in common, Great idea Margaret, I'm looking forward to reading other ladies answers. best wishes all, Trace xx

• Posted

Hi Ladies,

I have had a Hysterectomy. I have three children.

I do suffer with Anxiety.

I do take citalopram, for panic attacks during the menopause.

Still suffer now and again with the odd hot flush,

I feel anxiety makes everything worse, the doctors say that L.S. is an immune system problem, anxiety attacks your immune system so maybe there is a link, they also say there is a link between sex and LS, injury through intercourse, not a specific injury just general injury. Jo xx

• Posted

Hi, I had a hysterectomy, I have 2 children, I suffer from anxiety & depression for which I'm taking Escitalopram, I'm overweight, I've wondered about thyroid problems but the blood tests are always ok. I currently live in France but lived in North Hampshire previously. I also suffer mild IBS & digestive problems.
  • Posted

I forgot to mention that I'm menopausal & am taking HRT (estrogen only).
  • Posted

Hi everyone

This is excellent.

I am 54 and am going through the menopause but not using hrt. I have had 2 pregnancies, one to term. I have not had a hysterectomy and do not have ibs. But I have suffered from depression previously and was on citalopram for a while! This has cropped up as a common factor amongst our tiny reference group has it not?!! Yes I am overweight and yes I have underactive thyroid as previously mentioned. So I take thyroxin - is it worth comparing other meds? I also take Simvastatin for cholesterol and Atenolol and Ramipril for blood pressure.

Thanks Margaret

• Posted

Oh and I live east of Lincolnshire.
  • Posted

Vicki04, oh sweetheart! Do you still have some clitoral feeling? There are other threads on here where people have talked about fusion of the hood over the clitoris, dulling the sensation but they have supported each other by saying things like 'remember it is always there' 'or remember you will always feel it' and I'd always taken heart from that. My consultant also said that fusion was the way the clitoris tends to be affected. You are the first person who has talked of it actually reducing. That I've seen anyway. Any one else?

Big hug Vicki X

• Posted

Morning Girl's,

Wow, this is becoming even more interesting as more answer's are appearing, we do all seem so far to have Citalopram in common, I'm not saying it's the medication it's self, but we all have anxiety or depression troubles, which are either caused by stress or lead to stress.

I also take Lansoprazole for a Hiatus Hernia, but other than that I'm pretty much "Med" free luckily, well at the moment. Best wishes T xx

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I agree this is very interesting, the other thing that is most common is the menopause, thinning skin does not help LS, and anxiety is also a symtom of the menopause, could the drop in Oestrogen be a factor, or sweat, many women including myself sweat a lot between their legs.

There is so much to consider, but this is a great start.Take care girls. Jo

• Posted

Hi everyone

I haven't been on this forum for ages as my LS has been well under control - I was diagnosed 3 and a half years ago, but I had it only mildly. However, my inner labia are fused, but I seem to be able to keep the pale patches under control. I use cetra ben every day which has been magic, and betnovate once a week. However, in the last month or two (the hot weather perhaps?) I've had bouts of slight itchiness and soreness and have been on and off the betnovate! Now my clitoris has suddenly started to itch like mad, and then became very sore - so much for my sex life for the moment! I find this very upsetting to say the least.

In answer to the list of questions (very good idea, btw, I hope this gets to someone in the medical profession!):

Yes, I had a hysterectomy 21 years ago. I have 4 children, including twins, and have lots of scarring from the births around my vagina.

Yes, I have gone through the menopause, just before my hysterectomy. (I'm 71 btw)

No, I'm not overweight, but I watch my weight very carefully and diet as soon as it goes up a bit.

I don't have thyroid problems.

I don't have IBS, but I do have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), I had ulcerative colitis 17 years ago but I was lucky and steroid treatment cleared it up, and although I get a bit of inflammation in the bowel from time to time it always clears up with topical steroid treatment (enemas or suppositories). I take asacol all the time to keep it under control.

I live in Birmingham.

I am an anxious person, I am at present on mirtazapine and pregabalin, though very small doses, and they are keeping me on an even keel.

I don't really find a correlation between anxiety and LS.

What other questions should we ask? Most importantly, whether sufferers have any other auto immune disease. In my case ulcerative colitis, and I have also had a touch of eczema from time to time.

I'd be very interested to find out if anyone knows how to present this information to someone in the medical profession, to be taken seriously.

Chris

• Posted

Hi again,

I should add that when I had a patch of eczema recently the GP commented that he would link it in my notes with the LS!

Chris

• Posted

Hi again too, I have mentioned it earlier, I also have eczema in the same place as I have LS, I do manage to keep it under control with Dermovate cream I use a little each day.

Maybe if we keep going something might stick out as a common denominator, then we could present it to the medical profession. Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.