Atrovent Inhaler

Posted , 4 users are following.

This inhaler seems to be making my breathing worse not better.  Anyone

had the same experience?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've never used this medication but when I googled it there are numerous warnings about breathlessness being a side effect.   I'd recommend you stop using it and talk to whoever prescribed it.

I'm not having a go at you, but did you not read the warnings in the  manufacturer's leaflet or on the internet when you were first prescribed it so that you knew what to watch out for?

• Posted

Terri, 

Hello, I have used it when first diagnosed. The nurses gave it to me when I was first admitted to the hospital in 2013. I had to go to ER due to having Congestive Heart Failure, and after being admitted, they also wondered if I may have COPD, so they gave me Atrovent to start with. It made my heart beat irregularly and faster, and I do remember becoming much more SOB. So, they immediately took me off, and they began giving me Spiriva. I have been on Spiriva ever since, but now, I have to pay several hundred more dollars for Spiriva (monthly) due to new private insurance plan, so they are going to try to find me another medication for substituting Spiriva (hopefully, or else I will pay the high expense to use it). 

Please don't use this medication again, and call your Dr or go to ER if your breathing problem (it caused) is still going on.

Respiratory medications are very powerful medications, whereas some of them can cause our breathing to slow down, or, if we have an allergy, can cause inflammation inside the lungs, making our breathing more difficult, or, can make our heart beat much faster too. So, we must always take the time and carefully inspect importantly, the side effects, since these medications concern the lungs (and heart too). For myself, I have to keep an eye open for my heart too, but I think that is true for the lungs too, since the heart and lungs work together. 

Hope you are better now as compared to other posting about this drug. 

• Posted

Brenda:

Thanks for the info.  Feeling better this morning and will not use the

Atrovent inhaler again.  I don't seem to be able to tolerate meds in general, including it would seem, inhalers.  Have terrible reactions to just about any med I have ever been prescribed.  Thanks again Brenda.

• Posted

Terri, you are very welcome! 

I am glad you are feeling better too. 

I had two doctors, one is a cardiologist and the other is a pulmonologist. When I was hospitalized for the first time, which was September, 2013, I suffered respiratory failure and Congestive Heart Failure. So they put me on both heart and lung medications. 

My cardiologist told me that the reason he felt I could not tolerate Atrovent was due to my naturally having a faster heart beat. My heart has a faster heart beat, so I have to watch for anything that possibly has caffeine in it, or anything that makes it beat faster. It would beat faster, then my breathing would become very labored and SOB. The medication would litterally have to fade out of my body, which took some time. 

Take Care, and have a good breathing day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.