Atypical Facial Neuralgia Vs Atypical TN

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hoping I can get a little input on what has been going on with me for three years.

Does it sound like I have Atypical TN or Atypical Facial Neuralgia? What is the difference?

It started in late 2015 with burning sharp pain and numbness in my teeth, gums, sinus, face. Only on the Left Side. This lasted for a littler over 2 weeks and it then turned into a constant numbness in teeth and gums. I would have sharp pains in my face (forehead, below my eye, into my jaw). My lymph nodes are swollen and my face/jaw has progressively swelled. Again all on the left side.

I've had pain in my face like someone is stabbing me in the forehead, eye, cheek. Really bad pain that I have never had before. It isn't like a headache it is worse. The pain has lasted up to four days. I still have the constant dull pain/numbness in my teeth and gums. Eating can trigger it really more at night. It has been about two months since my last episode of severe facial pain. I was having it two to three times a month. Strange thing is I can sleep fine but when I wake up it starts back up. I did have shingles a year ago.

I've been to PCP, ENT, Dentist, and Neurologist. The PCP and ENT says the lymp nodes are reactive but then turn around and say they are fine. The Neruologist wants me to get a MRI with contrast but she did not pay a whole lot of attention to me. She kept getting up to leave when I was asking questions. I asked her what was causing the pain in my face and she said it was Atypical Facial Neuralgia that the nerves in my face were causing pain. Just left it like that and for me to get the MRI.

I haven't got the MRI yet.... I am hoping for some input from the group. It is like I can't get a straight answer from anyone about what is wrong with me. I mean does it sound like I fall into TN?

Thank you for any help.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.