Atypical tn, weird pain relief

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've had atypical tn for over 6 years and I've looked over so many of these boards over the years, but don't remember ever seeing anything about getting temporary relief from things like mints, halls, or even eating. While the movement in my face can make my pain work, I've always had a favorable reaction, some pain relief, when I have a halls or mint in my mouth, or even eating some times. None of the doctors seem to understand this, in fact I was sent down the endocrinologist path years ago, which obviously turned up nothing. I just think that tn, especially type 2, is so misunderstood. There are symptoms and ways it comes on or reacts that doctors just don't understand. I've had no relief from mvd surgery or the cyber knife and I'm currently trying acupuncture. Thoughts anyone???

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mints, lemons and eating are some of things that I avoid they make my pain worse. Tried acupuncture worked for about 6 months then stop working, made pain worse in some areas. It does work for some people. When the pain is so intense worth a try. I am now pain free 14 months after 2 MVD in a years span, 1 st one was only pain free 7 months. Good Luck
  • Posted

Yesterday, a small miracle happened and I went out shopping and other places without any ice pack.  The doctor's office has obsessively tried to get me on pills that I think might have risks.    They didn't really discuss topical meds until I asked about them.    They brought up capsaicin pain patches which I know are based on Cayenne pepper and they're known to burn.     They did not tell me anything about over-the-counter Lidocaine until I asked them about it.     This seems to be improving my condition.  Whether it keeps on working, I'll find out.

• Posted

I’ve been trying lidocaine gel bought over the counter and it gives light relief when having an episode. Not sure if any contraindications for long term use though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.