Augmentation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys I have a few questions regarding augmentation. I have avoided medication for my RLS for years, I am only 30 and didn't want to start taking such a serious medication with all sorts of side effects, then to have augmentation set in and possibly be left in a worse situation than prior to taking the medication.

Now, things have become so bad that I really do need something to help me lead any kind of life. Doctors first offered me gabapentin and now ropinerole.

Those of you that have tried various medications... how bad is augmentation and how soon did it occur for you? And are symptoms really that much worse after augmentation sets in? Or is it just that you'd forgotten how bad it was or that things would have naturally progressed that way anyway?

How many different medications have to tried and how often do you alternate? Is it the case that you could try drug A then drug B then drug C and then go back to drug A again and it would work? Or would it never again have the desired effect?

Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be ever so gratefully received 💙

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I haven't been on medication long enough to experience augmentation but I can say that ropinirol has given me an effective cure for rls. My GP suggests that augmentation won't be a concern for some years but also said that medication holidays helped to delay augmentation.

It all seems a bit vague but can only be guided by GP.

• Posted

I too recently started on Ropinirole, and so far things are looking good, but augmentation is a concern.  The only other thing that has worked at all - though not as effectively as Ropinirole - was Clonazepam, as dianne92682 mentioned above.  I'm wondering whether to ask my doctor if it may be an idea to alternate these 2.  I'll ask him what period I should stay on each for. 

Needless to say, the thought of My RLS coming back - possibly worse than before - is NOT a welcome thought...   I'll report back on here how things go.

• Posted

Glad you have a trustworthy GP! When it comes to RLS the ones at my surgery don't seem to know their ass from their elbow!

• Posted

To be fair, I had a lot of frustrations discussing my RLS with GPs (I've seen several about the condition over the last 10 years or so)  Whilst most, if not all, have at least heard of the condition, they seemed to have little knowledge and were often reluctant to prescribe drugs like benzodiazepines and dopamine agonists, maybe worried about the risk of patients becoming dependant on these "serious" medications for a "non serious" condition.  

Many doctors focussed instead on sedatives to address the sleeping problems.  But a sedative strong enough to overcome my RLS would have made me incapable of functioning the next day!  Have other experienced this with GPs?

Luckily I recently saw a doctor who was prepared to prescribe Ropinirole.  And I'm (so far..) very grateful he did! 

• Posted

...actually hypnotic would be a more appropriate term than sedative
    • Posted

Should have mentioned that I was started on Amitriptyline by one GP in the local practice. This prooved to be useless. Current GP looks on Ropinirol as the standard treatment. I will be seeing him soon for review so I will keep you & matt8582 posted

• Posted

Amitriptelene is the WORST thing to give an RLS sufferer! It makes it worse for most of us!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.