Autism and Bus Passes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello!

So this has been a question that I have been thinking about and it came up on another discussion of mine.

So around 8 years ago I was awarded a bus pass in my county and I needed to renew it. I managed to renew it online and am now waiting for it to be processed and mailed to me.

However another user has said that I am not entitled to the bus pass as I can physically walk (no limbs missing etc) and I need a severe learning disability to qualify.

But surely the county would never of issued me a bus pass originally before if I never qualified?

I vaguely remember sending off a doctors letter detailing my autism and was given the bus pass on that.

Does anyone know more about this?

Are autistics entitled to a bus pass?

If you have a bus pass and are autistic, how did you manage to apply for it?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You can have a bus pass in our local area if you have a hidden disability such as aspergers

I believe every borough is different

But my daughter has one for aspergers and she can take a companion free as well 

• Posted

Hello,

Forgot to mention that I live in the UK, if that makes a difference at all.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi

Our Autistic son has been awarded Diamond Bus Pass for the first time with Companion entitlement . Our son has severe learning disability as well but physically fit. He needs round the clock watch and prompt for his day to day life safety and security.

• Posted

I was given a bus pass in 2013 (I think.) I had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and depression but was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2009. I wasn't aware I was even eligible until my support worker at the time told me to apply. I have no mobility problems, although I do have various eye conditions they don't affect me badly enough to cause anything more than needing glasses at the moment.

I was worried that bus drivers would query my eligibility as my disabilities are invisible, and I'd heard of this happening to others granted passes on mental health grounds, but it has never happened to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.