Autism caused by seizures? Or accompanied by seizures?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! I'm trying to find out if autism can be caused by seizures or if it is a completely genetic disorder that is sometimes accompanied with seizures. Any information on this would be great!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I have read that sometimes people experience seizures along with asperger's or kanner autism. I don't think it is common though. You should probably consult a doctor. 

• Posted

Thanks for the response! I was thinking nobody would even bother to reply at this point. I'm just trying find out if these things are causal to one another. For example, this is one link that hints at epilepsy "per se" causes autism. https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/can-epilepsy-cause-autism/

Really, I'm just looking for some research papers that discuss this issue. Is there a way to ask questions directly to doctors via this website, or another website?

• Posted

There is no known single cause for autism spectrum disorder, but it is generally accepted that it is caused by abnormalities in brain structure or function. 
  • Posted

Yes, I understand that there could be multiple causes and that that is generally accepted. I was just wondering if seizures specifically could lead to autism

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.