Auto accident-impact into drivers side door at 40mph

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had this happen to me 2 days ago. My car is a total loss. I was hit pretty hard in the left shoulder, ribs, and the lower thigh when the driver plowed into my door. It created a significant dent in my door as the impact lasted for several seconds.

Fortunately, I didn't break any bones. The ambulance arrived farily quickly. They checked me out and ran a few tests on me. I declined to go to the hospital though they urged me to let them take me to USC hospital in Los Angeles. They warned me against internal bleeding or that I could possibly die if I didn't go to the hospital. I don't have insurance. I'm a jogger in pretty good shape and I think I took the impact pretty well. This was my first real accident I have been in aside from a few minor fender benders years back.

I had to get out of the right side passenger door. It caused my right front tire to be flat.

So it is now 2 days later. It is painful to make certain movements that normally I would not blink an eye to make. I think my pelvis area took some of the force on the impact. It doesn't hurt to sit as I type. When I get up though, I have to do this slowly. There is pain in my inner thighs. If I bend down to touch the floor, when I attempt to raise myself back up, there is pain in my inner thigh. Maybe I stretched some ligaments. Will this repair itself on its own? I have to walk slowly but I can do it.

When I"m laying on the bed on my back, to raise back to a sitting position, this causes some pain. I usually sleep on my right side. I can get there with some struggle. I have to make sure my left arm is pushed back though on my left side. If I move me left arm over to my right side, there is pain. My left shoulder took a beating. If I just put my hand on my left shoulder, it is tender. There is some purple bruising on my left bicep also.

Am I going to be ok? If I had any internal bleeding, for most people, is this something the person would know?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You could have cracked your pelvis. Without any CT or Xray you will not know but I urge you to go to ER and be checked out. You may only have bruising but do get checked out. Internal bleeding can be very minor, and the body can deal with it with rest, or it can be major ,and life threatening, but as you are still alive 2 days later that is unlikely.

Nobody on here can tell you what has happened to you internally , only a professional who sees you personally can answer those questions.

• Posted

Exercise your muscles and stretch your back, to get maximum benefits. Wear a support system for your back.

• Posted

Yes, if there are no broken bones then you will heal over time naturally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.