Autoimmune gene HLA-B27 positive

Posted , 4 users are following.

Female 38.  Anyone else have this that has suffered with crohns or mystery stomach symptoms? I have had ongoing stomach issues for over 7 years no positive IBD yet just telling me its IBS as of now but I get horrible pain where I can't even move or eat sometimes for weeks during flares. Had multiple colonoscopies and upper endoscopies. Now after increasing joint pain I recently saw a rheumotologist due to the amount of autoimmune and arthritis in my family and tested positive for the HLA-B27 gene. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had crohns or other stomach issues then developed arthritis. Anything help them? Meds or treatments?  My fingers and feet hurt really bad mostly fingers and hands. Hard to even bend them at times. It really started recently after my most recet stomach flare and diagnosis of E.Coli. I have asked my GI Dr to order me the PillCam which I am going for in 2 weeks.  Any imput helpful. Thank you. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i have stomach issues. Diagnosed with IBS many years ago as well as Barrett's esophagus. I am also lactose intolerant... I get horribly sick when I eat, usually anything that is rich or higher fat content. I try to avoid these foods whenever possible...most every time I have upper GI's, the doctor finds H Pylori, which at times is very painful, has your doctor tested you for this?  the pain that you are experiencing, were you ever tested for neuropathy or raynauds? I am diagnosed as having both. They both can cause severe pain... hope this helps...

• Posted

Hi Brenwag68,

I am also lactoste intolerant I beleive many years ago they tested me for H Pylori but def not recently. Last time upper endoscopy and colonoscopy they found small ulcer and esohpagitis. I just recently asked my GI to run a parasite test which is when they found the E. Coli infection. Intersting is  found that strage because I just read tonight there is a link between the HLA-B27 gene which is responsible for: spondyloarthropathies, which include Psoriac ArthritisAnkylosing spondylitisInflammatory bowel disease, and Reactive arthritishttps://news.weill.cornell.edu/news/2017/02/research-uncovers-bacteria-linking-crohn’s-disease-to-arthritis 

I find this all very strange because literally everything is pointing to Crohn's I'm curious is it is hiding in one of the unusual spots like the jejunum small intesting responsible for the Crohn's type Jejunoileitis. I guess we shall see after the PillCam I hope it gives some more answers

• Posted

My doctor a couple years back gave me a colonoscopy because I have problems going to the bathroom (I have went 10 days without going) she was concerned but my colonoscopy showed nothing. She thought I had Crohns because I get horribly sick when I eat, but it did not show... at times I have constant diarrhea & then I will go for days without going at all (my doctors feel that it is because of having sjogrens & the lack of fluid causing me not to be able to go at times & that when I get diarrhea it is because of the ibs) I am always so sick, I feel a lot better when I do not eat but I am so tiny right now my cardiologist wants me to put on weight, it's hard to when your so sick from food. My gastroenterologist said she wouldn't give me another colonoscopy because of my age but hopefully she will do it next year  because I will be hitting the big 5-0. I hope the pillcam can get to the bottom of your illness... take care

• Posted

Becca

I am undergoing this problem after a suspected sexual exposure. IBS, joint pain, skin rashes, neuro but my blood works are clear.

Have had neuro and skin issues?

How about your periods ?

What is hla b27?

• Posted

Hi Rihanna, to answer both questions yes I have has lots of ance and skin issues of that nature was on Accutane low dose for a very short time although stomach issues exsited years before going on that. I am treated for horrible migrinaes and anxiety issues and sleep disturbance. I am currently on birth control pills straigh through because everytime I would get my period I would get a horrible migraine for 3 days. So I take pill with no breaks now. HLA-B7 is a gene that is for autoimmunes: spondyloarthropathies, strongly associated with ankylosing spondylitis (AS), Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis, Inflammatory bowel disease, and Reactive arthritis. If you test positive doesn't mean you have to have one but pretty likely. Will they amount of issues I have been having including horrible joint pains in hands feet my rheumatologist said pretty sure I have one just figuring out which I have only seen her twice so far. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.