Autoimmune Neutropenia

Posted , 23 users are following.

Does anyone have any personal experience of autoimmune neutropenia.?

My daughter (25) was diagnosed four years ago and the whole subject seems so vague. She sees a haematologist every six months who monitors her and asks how she feels - other than this no help or treatment is offered. She gets multiple mouth ulcers on a regular basis and often feels washed out and tired. She also suffers from IBS. Nobody seems sure how this will affect her in later life. Bone marrows punctures have been performed to rule out any 'nasties' but we don't seem to get any answers.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, I have had neutropenia and low white cell counts since 2010, is is 'isolated' and of unknown origin and told that it is 'just they way my body is'. I have had bone marrow biopsies which showed slight abnormalities in the way my body makes neutrophils but not enough to say this is the cause. The heamatologist has told me that is is genetic although until recently couldn't work out where from. Like some of you on here I also suffer from fatigue, and diagnosed with IBS a few years after finding out about the neutropenia. They just don't know why I have it. I'm writing on here as recently, my neutropenia has seemed to have gotten worse. Normally, I get colds and flu and infections but my body seems to fight it off even though it takes twice as long as a healthy person but this time, I have had a cold which has completely wiped out my neutrophils and they have no idea why. They have put me on anti-virals as I suffer from chronic coldsores and if left they spread all over my face on my skin, but they are waiting to see if I get better after 5 days of taking them. Every day I feel worse and worse and don't seem to be getting any better. To make matters worse, my mum has just been told out of the blue that she has mulitple organ failure and low immunity diagnosed from a blood test and they just have no clue as to why or where that came from, she has felt ill from time to time but nothing serious. I'm so worried for us both, does anyone have any advice or had a similar situation to me?

• Posted

Hi Rosemari, sorry for the late reply

I hope you and your Mum are ok? I've actually been quite unwell recently. My lymphocyes have actually been dropping and I've now got some other abnormalities to my blood which I'm now very worried about. I see the haematologist in a couple of weeks. I don't so much get cold sores but have skin problems in other areas. I also have been noticing hundreds of red dots under my skin (another reason why I am seeing the doctor).

• Posted

Hi I've had neutropenia 10 yrs, my lowest counts being 0.03, at the moment they are 0.1 and I am suffering with fatigue and joint pains when they are this low, haematologist discharged me but my GP not happy So referred me back as I generally feel unwell and had 2 bad infections last year, just wondering does GCSF have a good effect?

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you've been unwell. i have autoimmune neutropenia but have no experience of g-csf injections so unfortunately i cant offer any advice. i do suffer with fatigue and pain but my inflammatory markers are normally ok so no one can explain it

• Posted

Hi Katie K, I'm Ramona and it's more than 12 years now that I've been struggling with immune neutropenia (I have positive antineutrophil ANCA antibodies ) and apart from fatigue and mouth sores I've been almost all right. Recently ,after kidney problems( losing proteins with my urine)I've done a kidney biopsy showing : AA Amyloidosis. Maybe I also have Behcet disease. (vasculitis) we're not sure cause blood antibodies ANA , ENA ARE NEGATIVE. It's important to watch serum amiloid A (simple blood test) when you have inflammatory conditions 'cause it can damage kidneys in years (rare condition). Serum amiloid A must be less than 10. Wish you well!

• Posted

hiya. i'm 21 years old and have had neutropenia for the past 6 months (as far as i'm aware) - it might be longer but unfortunately the only other blood test on the system was from 2015. where my neutrophils were actually normal at 3.9, they are currently 0.8. i was wondering how people are managing with their neutropenia and whether others had to have blood cancers ruled out? i imagine that will be the next step now i've been referred to haematology and i'm of course pretty anxious as everything online just seems to point to blood cancers... autoimmune tests were negative for me, and i have no signs of infection but do experience fatigue often and muscle/bone aches

• Edited

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to autoimmune neutropenia, though I have evidence that this may be something I've had for many years (I'm 32, had 2 healthy pregnancies, type 1 diabetic for 17 yrs). Fortunately, I've not had any significant infections, but after being monitored by a hematologist for the past 9-ish months, my neutrophil count has dipped down a few times (lowest was in the 300s, some in 500s). Bone marrow biopsy pointed to autoimmune with nothing terrible noted there (which is good I guess, though my hematologist thinks the neutropenia is an early symptom of a larger autoimmune diagnosis to come at some point). I have classic symptoms at times -- fatigue, bone/joint pain, night sweats, low grade fever, mouth sores, etc. Other times, nothing really of note. With the limited information I have, I think my baseline is somewhere in the 8-900 range, which isn't terrible, but I have recent evidence of some severe/critical lows, so I sort of just have to 'wait and see' how things progress to get a better idea of what my 'normal' is (also frustrating).

My question to everyone is this: How do you maintain a "normal" life with autoimmune neutropenia? There are times when I'm stable (low, but not critically so), and others where my neutrophil and WBC counts are low...but without testing constantly, I don't always know when that is happening. Does this impact your ability to work/function in society? I am in a unique position in that I was diagnosed in the time of covid, where everyone was masking, distancing, and functioning remotely. This was actually a benefit for me while I was trying to get an idea of what was going on. However, as the world starts moving back to 'normal,' I'm not entirely sure what are reasonable accommodations for someone living with this disorder, or simply where to start.

It was very encouraging to find this thread. I hope you are all staying well and I am grateful for any insight anyone might have. (Edit: To note, I am in the US)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.