Automatic breathing stopped

Posted , 67 users are following.

First it started with chest tightness then 2 days later the problem began...I've been having this breathing problem for about two weeks now where my body isn't automatically breathing on its own. All day I constantly have to inhale and exhale all on my own if I don't I just don't breathe at all. I went through a CT scan, Chest X-ray, got a lot of blood drawn to check my oxygen levels etc everything has come back fine the doctors told me I'm a very healthy person. My doctor claims this is anxiety and has me taking 1mg of Clonazapam twice a day which hasn't worked so now I'm starting to take Citalopram. Could this really be anxiety ? I'm starting to think other wise I have spoke to people that have anxiety and that dealt with this but for them it's only for a short period of time. this has been and on going constant thing for way toooo long I don't know what to do at this point. I can't even do simple things like watching tv. It's tooken such a toll on my life.

3 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

This is definitely anxiety. Both me and my brother have struggled with this problem. You have to train your brain to not obsess over your automatic functions. It is hard, but it will happen! Trust that it will, and your brain will stop focusing on it much quicker!

• Edited

I know this feeling very good - and I know it is feeling awful. For me it can last for month, so you are not alone. But if you're going to think about it, it will be getting worse. I know it is so hard to calm for you now, but you are can breath normal. Actually - you think that you have to breathe more, when you are breathing more. Try to focus on something very easy. For me things for children like stickers and colouring books (but these for kids, not these antistress) are helping a little, when I'm feeling the worse so maybe try them! I wish you all best!

• Posted

On two occasions, this year, completely out of no where, my heart began racing to the level that I thought I was having a heart attack. On the 2nd occasion,  my diaphragm was moving on it’s own. After both, the diagnosis was malaria ++. But after the more recent one, my heart can just beating rapidly. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong but I can just stop automatically breathing 
    • Posted

Yea I focus on my breathing a lot during times of stress or anxiety. It’s such a dumb obessesion we have cause our bodies always breathed automatic and of course when we sleep. But OCD makes you think non logical but the struggle is what makes us stronger everyday 
  • Posted

Hi,

My name is John. I suffer from manual/conscience breathing. I have been thru so much since 2001 including losing my 8 year old Daughter. Mother, Father in law and several close friends. We live in my Moms home but are scorned by the family for some reason. We will soon be moving due to the stress of this area.

I manual breathe far too often and almost always obsess over my breathing. My chest gets tight and it is hard to inhale.It seems to get worse when I go to bed. I have had my lungs checked twice

and was told it is the massive stress/anxiety I an going through. The doctor prescribed lorazepam which keeps me calm but when it starts wear off it's back to manual breathing. 

I do treadmill everyday with no problems. When I am occupied which is very hard to do I breathe normal. I also breathe normal on the rare occasion I can relax. It is such a vicious cycle.

I dread going to bed because I think I will manually breathe and have the tight chest and ab muscles so Don't sleep good. I am trying to find a doctor but I just feel alone and like I am going crazy...

[Reply With Quote]

• Posted

Hey john,

You are not alone, i deal with this every single day. Ive lost alot of family this year and close friends. Most of it is anxiety i imagine, but sometimes your mind wanders and turns it into something an inch short of being a monster. I also have some severe gastro issues. I get excessive beltching and bloating. But mostly night time issues are miserable . I have to lay around til i pass out every night! I just really hope there is a cure for this. Ive never felt so off in my life.

• Posted

Did you get a solution in the end? You've described exactly what I'm going through and it really is torture

• Posted

Yep I been getting this symptom too, it's horrible and exhausting. Had it quite often, does my head in tbh. Its all anxiety, just gotta keep telling yourself.

• Posted

But are you stressing or worrying when you get it?

• Posted

Dazfoxy530-Are you stressing or worrying when you get it?

• Posted

I too have developed this manual breathing issue. For me it began when I was issued a CPAP for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I first tried the nose pillow option and I was not able to go to sleep with it on or keep my mouth closed. I quickly went to the nose/mouth covering mask so I could open my mouth to breath and this is when my anxiety began. I tried to leave the mask on but was not able to wear it for more than 10 mins. I could feel the anxiety building. Well, I took the mask off and set it aside for a couple of days to see if I could get the anxiety to lessen. It didn't work, the anxiety just got worse even when I was just thinking about having to use the mask... Now when I try to sleep, as soon as I close my eyes, I start manually breathing, then I get the rhythm off and I become wide awake. This goes on for several hours, sometimes all night till it is time to get ready for work. I am a public transportation bus driver. I can't afford to have sleepless nights. I have been doing self hypnosis and meditation breathing I found on Youtube but it hasn't helped. Everything I have all has one thing in common " long slow breathing in and out. I just came across this technique and I am going to try it tonight. Will let you all know how it comes out.

Lengthened breath

When your body is stressed, it breathes faster to take in more air. Trick it into a state of relaxation by breathing out longer than you breathe in.

Inhale for a count of three, then exhale for a count of six. Feel free to change up the numbers you count, but the idea is to have a prolonged exhale in comparison to your inhale. Slow, deep breathing like this, known as pranayamic breathing, resets your autonomic nervous system.

• Posted

Well it's been 2 months since my last post where I tried the breathing technique. I still suffer from the manual breathing, but not as bad and not as often. The breathing technique I listed: Inhale for a count of three, then exhale for a count of six. Feel free to change up the numbers you count, but the idea is to have a prolonged exhale in comparison to your inhale. Slow, deep breathing like this, known as pranayamic breathing, resets your autonomic nervous system...... worked at the moment, but not every time. What I found to help me the most to relieve my anxiety issues is exercise in a gym. Something I have never done. Turns out exercise releases endorphins which cancels out the enzymes in your brain that triggers your anxiety attack. Regular exercise alleviates chronic anxiety and may reduce the frequency and severity of panic attacks. Individuals who report chronic anxiety frequently engage in strenuous physical activity in efforts to alleviate their symptoms.

• Posted

try focusing on your breath (or controlling your breath) and something that is happening in the moment and it will eventually go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.