Autonomic dysfunction and constipation & blood pressure swings

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I have autonomic dysfunction, confirmed through a QSART test at a hospital neurology department.  I have almost all of the symptoms and it seems to me that my symptoms change and new things appear.  I was officially diagnosed a couple years ago where I was dizzy even laying down.  My blood pressure was 85/46.  I was put on midodrine to raise my BP.  That seemed to work fine for a bit over a year or so.  Then one day my body did a 180 in BP.  I one day had an intense headache that Tylenol or ibuprofen couldn't touch.  I checked my BP and it was sky high, like 158/93.  I saw my cardiologist and he had me stop the midodrine  and instead take a betta blocker.   My cardiologist said that a normal person will have a range of BP swing of 10 points.  A person with Autonomic dysfunction may swing 20 points and that can be tiring and can make one dizzy or light headed.  Has this happened to you?

In regard to constipation, I have had chronic constipation for most of my life.   And I am mostly a raw vegan, so I do get lots of fiber already.  I drink plenty.  I do need to exercise that would help move things along.  However recently I went through a period where I did not have a movement in EIGHT days.  I thought at first I had a stomach bug because I had intense cramp and abdominal pain, along with nausea on day one.  I later learned it wasn't a stomach bug however I was horribly backed up.  Taking exlax, senokot didn't help.  I also drank a 6 pack of prune juice, to no avail.  I had to go to the hospital because I was concerned I had an impacted bowel.  Xray showed there was no impaction however I had extensive fecal matter in my large intestine, which is my colon.  The hospital gave me a 20 ounce bottle of magnesium citrate.  It did nothing other than to just come back out as clear liquid.  Finally a suppository helped.

I read up on the internet about what makes our digestion move.  We have 12 cranial nerves coming from our brain.  The 10th nerve, called the vagus nerve communicates with just about every internal organ we have including being responsible for the involuntary intestine pulses that moves our food through our system.  The vagus nerve is part of our autonomic system.   This week I asked my neurologist and cardiologist if my chronic constipation can be attributed to my Autonomic Dysfunction.  The answer is yes, partly.  It is part what we eat and drink, exercise and the vagus nerve of course is key to moving our digestion along.  

Are you troubled with constipation as well?  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I’m on diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction officially but I do have it as part of diagnosed Sjögren’s and am also hypothyoid. I have the BP swings you describe and also the chronic constipation. I am on a BP med for essential Hypertension but recently discovered that i have stage 2 kidney disease. I asked my GP if this could be the problem and she agreed it could. She has lowered my Losartan for 3 weeks and then I measure again. 

I’m not confident in my doctors because they don’t have the equipment or skills to diagnose autonomic dysfunction.  Instead my neurologist has suggested that I have “heightened health awareness” over my symptoms! I’m not sure how they are all being so blinkered but I guess it’s easier to ignore our problems until they can’t. My balance is severely affected and I keep feeling dizzy and sometimes faint. 

• Posted

Hi Pug, I am so sorry you are dealing with this dysfunction. I have been diagnosed Autonomic Dysfunction in January. I am now a 71 yrs old male who has fought the doctors and medical system since 2000 when I had my first black out. I am sorry to take so long in responding too others who ask questions but I had no answers till I finally had the Tilt Table test for confirmation. I have had three blackout episodes (two while driving}. The last one on Sept 2 when I blacked out and fell backwards and fractured my skull my skull, concussion with bilateral bleeding. The doctors finally took me serious.Mine is due to Traumatic Brain Injuries and now I have another. It affects my heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, body temp regulation, migraines, vision, ringing ears, dizzy, vertigo, tremors, fatigue, digestive system, concentration and the list goes on. I am working with a specialized team in Scottsdale, Arizona and they are trying medication changes. In 2002 I was totally disabled with End Stage COPD and sent for lung transplant evaluation and thank God I didn't do it. Turns out now it is not COPD and most likely the Autonomic Dysfunction, although I do have severe Asthma. My doctors said they can only try different medications but there is no cure. For the digestion, at the first sign of constipation I start taking Dulcolax and I drin't lots of water. I am taking about 30 medications a day and just trying to be aware of how I feel. I have been cleared to drive again but am really leery of hurting someone should I have another blackout. They put a pacemaker in in 2014 and thought that was the answer but it didn't help. I am encouraged by this new team, life will never be what it was when I was younger but I do the best I can and thank God for every blessing every day. I try to focus on everything good rather than what is wrong, it does make life more enjoyable.

I send love and prayers for all my afflicted brothers and sisters, Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.